cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I added authorize user to my Amex and they did a hard pull.

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: I added authorize user to my Amex and they did a hard pull.

Doing a HP on an AU makes zero sense. Lenders don't care who you authorize to use your limit, they only care about YOUR ability to pay since you're the only one who entered into contract with them.

I have AUs on multiples of my cards and have never received the first HP from adding them.  I too wonder if it is some kind of glitch or CSR mistake. 

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely dispute this.

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would definitely dispute this.

Not with the CRAs you wouldn't, unless you want fraud alerts on all 3 and to possibly lose a positive tradeline forever.

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that was very odd and i applied online.  My husband said they proplebly did it by random but ooch! , 4 pts down taken from my score.  just dont under stand the hard pull and not a soft if anything. my Blue sky amex card opened 04/2015.  I have been charging more do to family vacation the last few months. My  CL 8,500 last CL increas was 3/2017.        

Message 14 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know thats why i was very surprized by the HP on my credit file 

Message 15 of 37
bhill40
Valued Member

When you apply online i know during the process, they ask do you want to add a AU? Outside of that, it shouldn't be an HP! I would def contact AMEX and try to get it resolve! You have earned your score and let them take it away based on possibly a glitch, to qualify for something that you want, you can't get it because you missed it by 4 points due to the bank/creditor mistake!!

Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover warns about that which is why I couldn't add anyone. So we just share a card and rack up points.

Message 17 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Since this is regaring a hard pull on a credit bureau report I'm moving the thread to 'General Credit' for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 18 of 37
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover warns about that which is why I couldn't add anyone. So we just share a card and rack up points.

"Before adding Authorized Users to your Discover account, we need to verify their identities, which requires information such as their first name, last name, Social Security number, date of birth, and physical address." doesn't mean they are going to do a hard pull.  As with the earlier example, it's a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act to place a hard inquiry on someone's credit report(s) when there is no direct relationship between that party and a consumer.  An authorized use has no responsibility whatsoever for an account they are authorized to use.

Message 19 of 37
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Review by an existing creditor for their own internal reasons, and not as a result of any request for extended credit initiated by the consumer, has a permissible purpose under FCRA 604 as an internal account review.

The CRAs provide specific coding of any such permissible purpose as a soft pull.

Any showing as a hard pull is thus a result of improper coding of the permissible purpose for the inquiry.

I would  contact the creditor and have them correct the coded permissible purpose.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.