Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a Myfico black market alert!

tag
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

I got a Myfico black market alert!

I got a black market website surviellance alert and it all it says is My email address and a some garbled letters and numbers for password so what should i do?

EQUI 659, TRANS 660, EXP 666 these are my Scores as of 9/19/2016!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I got a Myfico black market alert!

I have no clue, but I will be following your thread...

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGeneralLee862 wrote:

I got a black market website surviellance alert and it all it says is My email address and a some garbled letters and numbers for password so what should i do?

I would change all your passwords for any credit or bank site and also consider freezing the three major credit bureaus at least temporarily.  While the alert may not mean a lot it also could be an indicator that you're at risk for identity theft or some other nonsense that you don't want.

Message 3 of 12
Berk
Established Contributor

It should tell you what site your info was obtained from. At any rate I know that Life Lock's alerts do. I've had two in the past three months. Both were tied to major data breaches. I just changed the passwords for those accounts and my bank account. So far so good.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received this alert as well a couple weeks ago like you descibe. Will be watching this thread.

Message 5 of 12
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

for some reason it does not tell me what site it is from or anything just my email?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting to see this because I got an email from myFICO in the middle of the night about a similar thing.

All the alert says on the site is the creation date of yesterday, and part of one of my old email addresses (not one that has ever been used for anything financial mind you).

I will make my own thread so I don't derail yours, but will watch both.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone else stated, just change your passwords make sure it's nowhere close to the ones you've using. It seems time consuming but I've had that alert a few times over the past 4 years from various monitoring services and from my own personal experience, it was usually tied to a data breach and then a data dump done from a server. Just had one recently on LinkedIn, Wendys, Walmart, my Amazon account...So because I tend to duplicate stuff I just use a generator now to come up with passwords, cause I was lazy and won't change them for years.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and I did make sure to remove any saved credit cards from online retailers, because of it. I felt I was taking an extra step in case I was hacked/data breached again

Message 9 of 12
TheGeneralLee862
New Contributor

I just got another alert again this time I recognized the password but unsure of what account it is that is getting this!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.