Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft! Help! Collections keep popping up

tag
RVG1
Established Member

Identity Theft! Help! Collections keep popping up

So last November (2019), I had 2 collections pop up for 2 different utility companies providing services in Houston. I am in San Antonio. I have never lived in Houston, nor do I personally know anyone who lives there. At the time, I filed a police report here in SA and submitted that to the credit bureaus as well as the original creditors. They were both deleted from my credit report and that was that. 3 days ago I got the notification pop up of a collection account added to my credit report. It's Receivables Performance Management collection for ANOTHER utilitu company in Houston. (how many do they have?!). Im working with the collection agency and original creditors to get these removed and Ive also disputed with the credit bureaus. I had fraud alerts on all 3 files and just this week added security freezes. How can i prevent this from happening to me over and over again? Clearly someone has my information and is using it to open these accounts. The problem is that not all of these utility providers do a credit check when they open the account so i dont know if the alerts/freezes will do anything. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Identity Theft! Help! Collections keep popping up

Seems really strange that someone has your info and is only using it to open utility service. I assume you've looked over your credit report carefully to see you don't have any credit accounts you don't recognize? If you're working with the collection agency and original creditors can you get them to state the name of the person they are trying to collect from? Utility companies don't do the most thorough credit checks (they usually just require a deposit) and it could be just someone with the same or very similar name & possibly other info (DOB?) as you and when it goes to collection and they look for a credit report to file a collection on they pick you.

Message 2 of 4
RVG1
Established Member

I have monitoring services on all 3 bureaus. All accounts are mine except these fraudulent collections that keep popping up. When I speak to the collection or utility companies, the only name they have is mine, except they're using my maiden name. But it is my ssn. I've gotten the addresses of where the services are provided. All 3 are different. I don't know what to do with the information anyway. I gave it to the officer who made the police report but I doubt they follow up on any of it. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The US Government runs a website that walks you through the steps to take if you are a victim of ID theft.

https://identitytheft.gov

It's quite comprehensive.

This doesn't need to become anything more than a moderate annoyance. Keep on top of the stuff mentioned on the gov site. It's good practice anyway. Don't lose too much sleep over this. It can all be fixed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.