cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I default on 1 credit card will the other cc company close my cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I default on 1 credit card will the other cc company close my cards?

Our business has been badly impacted, I've take a new job but it doesn't pay what I used to make. 

ive fallen behind on a credit card. My report shows this and it's possible this will go to collections. 

does anyone know how my other card provider will respond to the negative on my report? I have 2 cards with them and am able to make those payments. Have never had an issue with them before, always paid on time.  Is there a chance they would cancel the cards in response to me defaulting with another card provider?  I'll just have to suck it up if so but it would have an impact on whether we'll ever be able to reopen the business as having no credit line would be an issue. 

thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: If I default on 1 credit card will the other cc company close my cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

Our business has been badly impacted, I've take a new job but it doesn't pay what I used to make. 

ive fallen behind on a credit card. My report shows this and it's possible this will go to collections. 

does anyone know how my other card provider will respond to the negative on my report? I have 2 cards with them and am able to make those payments. Have never had an issue with them before, always paid on time.  Is there a chance they would cancel the cards in response to me defaulting with another card provider?  I'll just have to suck it up if so but it would have an impact on whether we'll ever be able to reopen the business as having no credit line would be an issue. 

thanks. 

It's certainly possible, though usually they'll start by minimizing their risk, which means they'll start by lowering your credit limits down to a very low level. 

What creditor are we talking about?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 6
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Defaulting in an account is a symptom of financial distress, if we add that the use on the rest of the cards is too high, this will attract even more attention.

If you have no other alternative, continue to do your best to save your finances and credit while keeping a low profile; I suggest you do not risk asking for a limit increase to remedy utilization, or applying  for new accounts unless it's for consolidation purposes[PL- check Marcus].

Try not to default, 7 years will be a long time to carry that burden. It's my recommendation.

Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks. 

Yes there is a good chance the other lenders would take adverse action.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 6
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I'd almost guarantee that you'll be balance chased. I'd do all I could to at least keep making minimum payments. If you've already begun to have latest reported, the cat is out of the bag.

Message 5 of 6
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks. 

@Anonymous if I'm reading your question correctly, you have two cards with the same lender and you have already defaulted on one card?

I would suggest talking to The creditor to see what options you have for both accounts. Some lenders are willing to offer lower apr's and or smaller payments... some require the accounts be closed, while others will suspend the ability to make additional charges while in a repayment plan.

I also wonder, is your business a Corporation/ LLC or sole proprietary business structure? Some lenders are more forgiving to Corporation's and LLC's provided they have a reasonable path to solvency. The downside is corporate credit blemishes are permanent and don't age off... however, the sting minimizes as you get back to paying your business debts in a timely fashion. 

Best of luck, I hope you are able to get your business up and running profitably again quickly. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.