Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info not matching

tag
Ms6Footer
Contributor

Info not matching

I am trying to help a young friend that is trying to start out building her credit, she’s 19.  She tried to pull her reports and they said her info doesn’t match.  They told her her submit proof and a letter.  

It is very possible that her parents used her info and had accounts in her name. Does anyone have a sample letter of what we could send when we contact the bureaus?  And if her parents did do something like that will she be able to dispute it?  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Info not matching

She could try viewing her credit reports via another source like Credit Karma, Credit.com, or Experian free membership

If there's some odd info she can file police report for ID theft, and file disputes with it to remove. She should submit proof to the credit bureaus as they requested to receive her reports.

Message 2 of 3
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Info not matching

@Ms6Footer wrote:

I am trying to help a young friend that is trying to start out building her credit, she’s 19.  She tried to pull her reports and they said her info doesn’t match.  They told her her submit proof and a letter.  

It is very possible that her parents used her info and had accounts in her name. Does anyone have a sample letter of what we could send when we contact the bureaus?  And if her parents did do something like that will she be able to dispute it?  

First, I'd find out exactly what proof they want, i.e., birth certificate, driver's license, passport, etc. Then have them clarify what information they need. I'm guessing it would include your friend's full birth name, current name if different, past and current addresses, past and current employment, date of birth, the last four digits of her SSN, and her phone number. Just write a polite, business-sounding letter stating "Per your request, I'm providing ... blah blah blah..." and include all the info they need.

Once that's done and accepted and she can access her reports, *if* there's anything suspicious she can take the appropriate steps, based on what's there. That could involve contacting the police or simply filing a dispute, but whatever is there, it should be fixable!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.