Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inq. ???

tag
creditchief
Regular Contributor

Inq. ???

If an inq. doesn't ding your score after 12 mos. will a potential creditor still see the inq. for 2yrs. until its gone?I hope this doesn't sound dumb but what I am getting at is on your fico report the inq. will leave after 12mo. hence no longer hurting your score but will it still be seen by others you may be requesting credit from?

Starting Score: 550-tu 550-eq
Current Score: 745-tu 777-eq (ex-736 lo)
Goal Score: 800-tu 800-eq

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Inq. ???

I think you understand things correctly.

Hard inquiries affect your score for only one year.  But they remain on your credit report for two years.  The reports you get from here, however, only show you inquiries that may be affecting your FICO score.  So it doesn't display the inquiries that are over a year old, even though they are still present on your credit reports.

If you were to pull your credit reports through annualcreditreport.com, you'll see all the hard inquiries from the prior two years.  But again, only those within the past 12 months would potentially affect your score.

Message 2 of 7
creditchief
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lel for the reply, So if I understand right just say Citi. may not like to see 4 or more inq. they could possibly run until there are some drop-offs to satisfy their criteria?( just hypothetically speaking)

Starting Score: 550-tu 550-eq
Current Score: 745-tu 777-eq (ex-736 lo)
Goal Score: 800-tu 800-eq

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Lendors and creditors dont get the same abbreviated credit reports that you get as a consumer..  They will get all inquiries in their one pull.

All credit reports are far from equal. 

If you havent pulled your free annual credit report from annualcreditreport.com, you might want to order it.  You will see the difference in comprehensiveness between the consumer reports that you purchase.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although an INQ only effects your FICO score for 1 year, lenders may have their own internal underwriting criteria and can use all INQs for the past two years in their determination to grant you credit or not.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont want to bog down this thread with additional questions, but I have one that has been nagging at me for some time.

I know that it is generally accepted that CRAs will drop inquiries from your CR after two-years,  And it appears that they routinely do so.

So maybe my question is just academic.........

But what if they dont?

I see no provisioln of the FCRA, and more particulary not in FCRA 605(a), that  ever requires CR deletion of inquiries after any period of time.

Maybe that provision  it is there, but I dont see it.  It appears to only be CRA practice, and not a requirement?

So what would be the grounds to dispute continued inquiries in one's CR after two years?

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

I dont want to bog down this thread with additional questions, but I have one that has been nagging at me for some time.

I know that it is generally accepted that CRAs will drop inquiries from your CR after two-years,  And it appears that they routinely do so.

So maybe my question is just academic.........

But what if they dont?

I see no provisioln of the FCRA, and more particulary not in FCRA 605(a), that  ever requires CR deletion of inquiries after any period of time.

Maybe that provision  it is there, but I dont see it.  It appears to only be CRA practice, and not a requirement?

So what would be the grounds to dispute continued inquiries in one's CR after two years?

Good question and one I don't have an answer to.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.