Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is TransUnion allowed to do that?

tag
DR527
Regular Contributor

Is TransUnion allowed to do that?

I see some hard inquiry's on my credit reports. I called up TransUnion to dispute them. And TransUnion told me they no longer investigate or dispute inquiries. I said how is that possible? The guy told me that as a policy TransUnion does not dispute Inquiries at all. They will remove them with written letter from the company. Is this legal?? Has anyone gone through this before. is their a leeter you sent to the company? What if the company just flat out ignores me? Like they have zero reason to reply..... I hate credit. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Re: Is TransUnion allowed to do that?

How old are they? Inquiries have no effect on your scores after 12 months. Might not be worth all this effort.

Are the inquiries legit? If so, then disputing them wasn't really the right way to address this. You can call or write to the creditors and ask them really nicely if they'll have the CRAs remove their inquiries, but honestly they'll probably say "no" in most cases.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 2 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

@DR527 wrote:

I see some hard inquiry's on my credit reports. I called up TransUnion to dispute them. And TransUnion told me they no longer investigate or dispute inquiries. I said how is that possible? The guy told me that as a policy TransUnion does not dispute Inquiries at all. They will remove them with written letter from the company. Is this legal?? Has anyone gone through this before. is their a leeter you sent to the company? What if the company just flat out ignores me? Like they have zero reason to reply..... I hate credit. 

TransUnion is just reporting what they were given by the credit/lending/financial institutions.
Are these hard inquiries legitimate? 
If they were legitimate they should stay.   If they are due to fraud or some other circumstance, then yes, you can contact the lending institution to request them to be removed and proceed from there.

Inquiries are a hard fight, but I'm not sure there's much to be gained from removing them anyway.  I had fraudulent accounts - the tradelines were removed, but I never could get the INQs off (but they're not hurting me, either).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DR527 wrote:

This is legit. It is very difficult to get hard inquiries removed. I had a company that did a hard inquiry on me without my permission. I had to dispute it with the company, and get them to agree to remove the inquiry from the credit bureau. Without the companies cooperation, it is pretty much a bust.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Can you clarify...

CRAs dont dispute under FCRA 611,, a consumer disputes.

Did the CRA state that they dont initiate a dispute of their own information, or that they will not consider any dispute, including one filed by the consumer?

Message 5 of 7
DR527
Regular Contributor

I was told that they would not investigate a inquiry at all. If its on your report. You must have something from the company stating that they will come off of your report. I thought this was very odd. I have no idea what some of these inquiry even were. I called one and they asked me to send them information to identify myself? 

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A legit CRA concern is that the FCRA includes mandatory provisions requiring their disclosure to consumers of any all instances of providing a credit report to others within the last 1-2 year period.

Providing a credit report in response to an inquiry is a "toothpaste out of the tube" issue, in that once the inquiree is sent a credit report, it cannot be undone.  The associated provision of the FCRA that mandates the CRA to provide notice of all instances where they have sent credit reports to others is not negated by any subsequent finding as to the permissibility of the inquiry, and thus the CRA could assert statutory block on deletion of filled inquiries.

CRA statements posted here in the forum stating that inquiries are not removal because the are "factual matters" is apparently their taking of the position that filling an inquiry is a non-deletable matter of fact.

Only  a court could provide a legal opinion on the ability of a CRA to delete records of filled inquiries based on a dispute, and I only offer that interpretation as a possible basis for any such CRA opinion as to the ability to remove record of fillled inquiries.......

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.