cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is address considered a factor in credit card approvals?

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Is address considered a factor in credit card approvals?

I don't know if this is true or not, but the cc company will compare your income to the average income of your zip code to see if  you are close. If your income is well above the average, they find it suspicious.

don't think this what you ment by considering you address, but just felt like adding my 2cents.

Message 11 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Is address considered a factor in credit card approvals?

@Andypanda wrote:

I don't know if this is true or not, but the cc company will compare your income to the average income of your zip code to see if  you are close. If your income is well above the average, they find it suspicious.

don't think this what you ment by considering you address, but just felt like adding my 2cents.

This is without a doubt very false.  My income is more than 3x the average income and more than 4x the median income of my billing ZIP Code.  ZIP Codes are very often comprised of very diverse socioeconomic statistics.  This is particularly true in major cities such as Boston, where you will find public housing intermingled with multi-million dollar condos.  And making lending decisions based on ZIP Code is illegal and discriminatory, a practice called redlining.

As for the earlier mention of gas stations being declined because of the billing ZIP being too far away, that is why credit card issuers allow you to set travel notifications (Amex excluded, who just expect you to be traveling all the time and no longer accept travel notifications).

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.