cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the credit card number on credit reports only visible to me?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the credit card number on credit reports only visible to me?

@cr101 wrote:

I'm not aware of any credit report that displays the full credit card/account number.  I just checked my credit reports from the 3 major credit bureaus and (a) Equifax displays account name but no account number (b) Experian shows the first 6 digits of each account number, and (c) TransUnion omits the last 4 digits of account numbers.

Message 2 of 4
iv
Valued Contributor

@cr101 wrote:

Except for the list of soft pull inquiries, if you see it on your report, so does anyone else who pulls it.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not aware of any credit report that displays the full credit card/account number.  I just checked my credit reports from the 3 major credit bureaus and (a) Equifax displays account name but no account number (b) Experian shows the first 6 digits of each account number, and (c) TransUnion omits the last 4 digits of account numbers.

Not anymore, anyway.  (I have copies of my reports from the 90s with full account numbers listed...)

And I've seen a few cases where the lender appears to have sent the CRA a number other than the real account number (whether random, scrambled, or internally coded, I'm not sure.)

I've never understood why the CRAs though blanking out the LAST few digits was a good idea, though... when paper receipts, websites, email confirmations, etc... all display the last 4-6 digits!

It's kinda like offering an "Ages 0-1" jigsaw puzzle to ID thieves.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 3 of 4
cr101
Established Contributor

@iv wrote:

I've never understood why the CRAs though blanking out the LAST few digits was a good idea, though... when paper receipts, websites, email confirmations, etc... all display the last 4-6 digits!

It's kinda like offering an "Ages 0-1" jigsaw puzzle to ID thieves.

Yes, I had to get out my card just to make sure that I was right and that they actually displayed most of my # on my TU report. A very sneaky, devious person could do some damage. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.