Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment filed for Returned check

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment filed for Returned check

I was served a summons for a dishonored check I was unaware that it had not been paid. I wrote a $60.23 check that was returned NSF back in Dec 06. I had some financial difficulties back then and had a few NSF to other stores. All the checks were resubmitted to my bank and all were paid including their fee, all but one.  If I was aware of this unpaid check, I would have paid it. Now they want me to pay $312.31.  I have no problem paying the $60.23 + $30.00 returned check fee, but $312.31 or more?? I did not receive any notice from the store that this check was unpaid. No phone calls, just a summons delivered to my door at 9pm. I don't think this is fair business. How should I respond to this summons? Am I stuck paying this outragous amount? HELP!!!! 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judgment filed for Returned check

Kjacks wrote:
I was served a summons for a dishonored check I was unaware that it had not been paid. I wrote a $60.23 check that was returned NSF back in Dec 06. I had some financial difficulties back then and had a few NSF to other stores. All the checks were resubmitted to my bank and all were paid including their fee, all but one.  If I was aware of this unpaid check, I would have paid it. Now they want me to pay $312.31.  I have no problem paying the $60.23 + $30.00 returned check fee, but $312.31 or more?? I did not receive any notice from the store that this check was unpaid. No phone calls, just a summons delivered to my door at 9pm. I don't think this is fair business. How should I respond to this summons? Am I stuck paying this outragous amount? HELP!!!! 

You will probably be liable for the legal fees which is why it is $312.31. I would try and settle before court to avoid the judgement.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment filed for Returned check

That total will include legal fees and seems about right.  You could try talking to the creditor and see if they will strike you a deal.. but they won't have to.  Sorry but it looks like you'll just have to suck it up.. and as already said, get this taken care of before the court date.... judgements are not good.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.