Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kroll Factual Data Inquiry on 7-10-08

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kroll Factual Data Inquiry on 7-10-08

I got a Score Watch alert recently that said my EQ FICO score went up 11 points. I logged in to Score Watch to see why, and it said "Applying for new credit has added an inquiry to your credit report." I looked to see what "new credit" I had applied for and which creditor had pulled the report. It said "FACTUAL DATA" had pulled it (actually, the Score Watch alert said FACUTAL DATA, but I assume that's a misspelling).

When I Googled the "5200 Hahns Peak Dr, Loveland, CO" (the full address was "5200 Hahns Peak Dr, 24HCGS005471MS 24HCGS005132MS, Loveland, CO, 805388852" ), the search indicated said address belonged to Kroll Factual Data. From reading the MyFICO Forums, it seems Kroll Factual Data is a third party that can pull tri-merge reports from the CRAs (i.e. a lender doesn't pull the credit report themselves, but gives the person's SSN, DOB, name, etc to Kroll Factual Data, who pulls the report and gives the info to the lender). Kroll Factual data appears to be mainly used by mortgage brokers, mortgage lenders, landlords, other real estate related lenders, and the like.

Three questions come to mind: 1. Why did Kroll Factual Data do a hard pull on my credit report? I have not recently (nor have I ever, for that matter) applied for a mortgage and neither my landlord nor property manager pulls credit reports (they will report to the CRAs if you are late with rent, but I have never been late with that). The only credit I could conceivably been said to have "applied" for recently was a Capital One CLI (I applied for it early last week; the hard inquiry from Kroll Factual Data was on 7-10-08 according to both Score Watch and Amex's CreditSecure; 7-10-08 was a day or two after I actually called Capital One). Anyway, I had called one of the toll-free numbers (877-513-9959) listed in the FatWallet "reasonable Capital One CLI numbers" thread, and I spoke to a representative that assured me that no hard or soft pull would be done, that I had a $300 increase available from CapOne waiting for me, no pull needed. I the asked for said $300 CLI and was granted it, almost instantly.

Does CapOne ever pull from Kroll Factual Data, as far as anyone knows? I just called CapOne back tonight and both the CSR in India and the senior account representative/manager in the US assured me that they pull through all CRAs directly and not through a third party; additionally, she told me that if I had a $300 CLI already waiting for me, no hard credit inquiry should have been done. Does anyone have any experience with CapOne pulling credit inquiries like this?

2. If it wasn't Capital One (and another reason I doubt it might have been was because in my experience, when CapOne DOES do a hard pull, they pull all three CRAs, not just EQ...that's just my experience, though), then who else who wasn't a mortgage lender might use Kroll Factual Data to pull just an EQ report? I did have a problem with AMEX's CreditSecure actually reporting my EQ scores a while back (for EQ, they showed "ND" for "no data" on every tradeline, despite the fact that MyFICO did show that ND was updating the data, except for part of May and June-more on that later in the post), but CreditSecure's CSRs assured me that they would call me with any info or changes they needed to get or make, and I assume them pulling a hard inquiry without my permission would not be allowed.

Finally, I got a letter from Allstate trying to get me to switch my car insurance coverage to them, but that was based on a "pre-screened" type of soft pull (the letter said so, in the print on the back about opting out of prescreened offers), and a soft pull should not generate a "voluntary inquiry" type of hard pull, right?

3. Why did it actually RAISE my EQ FICO score 11 points to have a new hard inquiry on it? Is this in any way related to Score Watch not updating FICO scores for May and much of June (this happened to me, but apparently it was a problem for some other people on this board as well. It appears to have been fixed by now.

Any answers as to why any of the above happened would be most welcome. I am calling Score Watch and CreditSecure first thing Monday morning and trying to see who let Kroll pull my data (hopefully it is just Cap One or Amex), and to take the appropriate steps if some jerk is trying to steal my identity.

edited: OP, hope you don't mind terribly, but I edited your post to add paragraphs. I took my best stab as to where they might go.

It's very difficult to read this much text without the occasional break of white space. --thanks

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-13-2008 01:56 PM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kroll Factual Data Inquiry on 7-10-08

Are you maybe applying for a new job? Kroll does employee screening as well.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheR1ch, I have not applied for a new job since 2005 (my current one). Do you know of anyone else besides mortgage lenders or employers who pulls credit reports through Kroll?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
TheR1ch, I have not applied for a new job since 2005 (my current one). Do you know of anyone else besides mortgage lenders or employers who pulls credit reports through Kroll?

Yes, collection agencies will use Kroll to run skip traces in order to track down people.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm...I don't have any accounts in collections (have paid everything on time and continue to do so each month); if someone else had taken my identity and used it and was now being skip-traced, I would have noticed by now (I check Scorewatch and CreditSecure every day); plus, if someone was looking for me, no skip trace would be needed, I have lived at the same (listed) address for almost three years and have no plans to move.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then your best bet to getting answers would be to call Kroll themselves. Because Kroll is a 3rd party credit reporting agency, they could easily tell you on whos behalf did they pull your credit for.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated if you have the phone # for them  call & ask who had them pull.   IF they tell you & you didn't ask for credit from that OC or whoever.....or they will not give you the info...........mail CMRRR  the no PP letter to them NOT the CRA
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As stated if you have the phone # for them  call & ask who had them pull.   IF they tell you & you didn't ask for credit from that OC or whoever.....or they will not give you the info...........mail CMRRR  the no PP letter to them NOT the CRA

If Kroll acted as a Third Party Reporting agency then they are bound by the FCRA to inform you of who requested your report via their system. Prior to giving anyone access to pull credit all 3rd party CRA's must be able to verify a working phone number, using approved sites..like Yellowbook.com, superpages.com, 411, for their clients. Therefore it is your legal right to know who is accessing your information via Kroll's system. Best of Luck in getting this resolved.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally got the info from Kroll on who pulled it. The bank I applied for a checking account with pulled EQ (after the CSR said they only pulled Chexsystems. If this lowers my score (it actually raised it 11 points as per my original post) I will dispute, if not I won't worry about it.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same alert (+2) points and I'm not applying for nothing. In fact, I'm looking to buy a house and staying away from any credit offers. I work in the industry and I'm tempted to pull my credit, just to see what that inquiry is all about, since MyFico doesn't really tell you **bleep**..., but I don't want to touch it unless I have to. Anyways, if anyone knows, anything specific about this "FACUTAL DATA, 5200 Hahns Peak Dr, 24HCGS005471MS 24HCGS005132MS, Loveland, CO, 805388852" please post.

thanx tonyton

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.