Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking credit reports questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Locking credit reports questions

Very true as with anything YMMV. Can’t hurt to be prepared.

Mine was also a CareCredit if that makes any difference.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can lock Equifax & TransUnion credit reports for Free. You can pay for Experian or do 30 day free trail monthly to get it free. Just canceled your membership to free basic after to avoid having credit card charged. It gets expensive paying for all 3 credit bureaus monitoring plus MyFico a year. While your credit report is locked with all 3 credit bureaus you can see all activity on your credit report including any and all updates on credit scores or payments made on accounts that change balance on accounts reported. The lock blocks hard inquiries & you get an alert that one was attempted. If you use credit.com which is free you need to unlock Experian credit report to get your credit.com update. If you use credit karma they will update with Equifax & TransUnion credit reports locked. I have caught AMEX trying to do hard inquiry adding authorized user to account which shouldn’t be done. I have also opened new revolving credit accounts with no hard inquiries & only attempted hard inquiries with locked credit bureaus reports all 3. I am not sure if it helps get approved for new revolving credit accounts with no hard inquiries having locked credit reports. I tried it with issuer I never dealt with before and one I had done business with. The soft inquiry seems to go through with credit report locked & some credit approvals have been done for me with soft inquiry only that normally require hard inquiry such as Apple credit card and Amex Gold card. It’s time consuming to do 30 day free trial with Experian monthly to not pay the monthly fee. If you’re willing to spend the time it will save you $19.99 for Experian monitoring monthly or $239.88 a year on Experian credit monitoring. You have all features of paid membership until 30 days are up. Experian will unlock your credit report and charge your credit card after 30 days free trial if you do not switch to basic membership free. Hard inquiries can get through if you don’t fix Experian and lock isn’t turned on. I paid for Experian, Equifax, TransUnion, MyFico monthly for some time. Before I switched to ways to see same info free. Saving me a lot of money a year. Every 30 days when you do another free trial with Experian you can update your Equifax & TransUnion scores not only Experian.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freezes are free at all three bureaus and have the exact same affect as a lock and adds statutory protections.

As for the Experian, I think they have a $15.99 plan that you can get for $9.99, if you are on Apple. Mines $9.99 a month.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.