Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost/Stolen CC

tag
blazerein
Established Contributor

Lost/Stolen CC

Question... so if you report your card as lost or stolen and request for replacement. After they report it to the bereau, will they close the account and reopen a new one when you receive the replacement? Will it show the original open date in the new card replacement? Thanks in advance
AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Lost/Stolen CC

@blazerein wrote:
Question... so if you report your card as lost or stolen and request for replacement. After they report it to the bereau, will they close the account and reopen a new one when you receive the replacement? Will it show the original open date in the new card replacement? Thanks in advance

Generally, the credit report won't show any change.   The report lists accounts, not card numbers.  The account remains open with all the history etc, just the card number has changed and that has nothing to do with credit report.  .

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree with the previous response. A lost/stolen card should result in a new card with a new number. Closing the old card and opening a new account but with the same opening date. (if you opened the card 5 years ago its still 5 years old)
Message 3 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I've had four cards replaced due to fraud, which should be pretty similar to being lost or stolen. You couldn't tell anything happened from looking at my report.

That's as it should be, but reports here indicate that things don't always go that smoothly with all issuers. If there's a duplicate account, it needs to be removed one way or another. Two accounts instead of one is inaccurate. And it causes scoring differences that shouldn't be happening.

Message 4 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I disagree with the previous response. A lost/stolen card should result in a new card with a new number. Closing the old card and opening a new account but with the same opening date. (if you opened the card 5 years ago its still 5 years old)

Like HeavenOhio, I've had cards replaced for fraud AND lost/stolen, and they really don't show up.   As HeavenOhio also says, things may go wrong, but this is the expected behavior.  You have, for example, a Chase Freedom account opened 6/14.   Whenever the card is replaced because of lost/stolen/fraud/expiration  The new number (and CVV/exp date) doesn't mean the account has changed.

Message 5 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I've personally experienced a combination of the reports in this thread so far.

I once had to get a HSBC card (now Capital One) replaced and afterwards I had two entries on my credit report, one with the notation "Lost/Stolen Card" and the other appearing normal, with all the history reflected (correct open date, etc.).

I had a Wells Fargo Propel card replaced last year due to fraud, and the entry on my credit report was simply updated with the new account number... no mention of the card ever having been lost/stolen.

Then there's Synchrony, which is known to sometimes report a replacement card as an entirely new account if the account number is changed, as if you had closed the old one and reapplied.  I've not experienced this personally, but there are more than a couple of reports on the forums of this happening (YMMV).

Message 6 of 11
blazerein
Established Contributor

This is now what’s happening to me with Synchrony. Just got an EX alert that remarks changed that it’s a Lost/Stolen Card and when I check the account, it’s now Closed. Not sure what happens when I receive the new card if it shows the original open date.
AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 7 of 11
stw715
Regular Contributor

@blazerein wrote:

It really depends how Lender reporting it and it can be different given same circumstances. With recent fraud on Marvel Comic card? Some reported it shows brand new open date while others like myself, have same/original open date. Notice in the second pic that EX will remove the old account after 2 years.

-

1DBD66A5-1839-4DC8-97E4-DB0E3A755254.pngF8C73B34-D65A-4243-A2FF-C395F700AA2F.png

Message 8 of 11
rbentley
Established Contributor

I had this experience in July.  Somehow my NFCU CC got compromised.    They quickly reversed the charge, closed the account and sent me a new card with a new number.  The new card immediately reported to all 3 CRBs with my old account history.  The now closed account continued to report thru September, increasing my number of accounts and slightly reducing my AAoA.  It dropped off my EX and EQ accounts in September but is still on my TU account.  I expect it will drop off TU this month.

Message 9 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The replacement account should report with the date open and credit history as the account that was lost/stolen. The account that was lost or stolen one of two things will happen:

1) The replacement account will be reported and the account that lost/stolen the reporting of that account will cease and be removed from the credit. report.

2) The lost /stolen account will still be reported and a comment stated that it was lost/stolen. The remark is not derogatory nor does affect the credit score. The replacement account will be reported with the same date open and credit history as the lost/stolen account.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.