cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major trouble with Midland Collections. Trying to collect on an already-paid debt.

tag
mlynne37wiu
Valued Member

Major trouble with Midland Collections. Trying to collect on an already-paid debt.

Has anyone ever heard of this company?   I did some research on them and it looks like they are not too great (put nicely).  My younger sister called me tonight frantic because an old account she paid off to FBCS in August has now been purchased by this Midland Credit Management Collections place (they purchased it in October).  I guess she called Midland and the woman told her that she had to track down FBCS and get a proof of payment letter.  The refi lender paid my sister's accounts in August by sending out payment checks to her creditors, so I'm really hoping the lender has receipts and proof of payment letters since my sister said she never got anything in the mail. 

Is this right? Can they go after someone who has already paid an account?  I feel so badly for her.  Her scores have dropped because of this and the debt has already been paid off. 
October 2008 TU 687 EQ 644 EX 698

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major trouble with Midland Collections. Trying to collect on an already-paid debt.

I would immediately do some disputes on it. The OC's will not respond if paid ( most of the time ), and the CRA will then remove ( along with the same acct's from a CA ). If they verify acct's, then redispute with documents that they were paid by a refi company. Provide the Refi companies info. This will, most of the time show them you aren't BS'ing them, and they will remove. Hope this helps. And also, Some of the Credit Geniuses on here will be able to better assist you.

Jameson
Message 2 of 7
kmcbarne
Established Member

Re: Major trouble with Midland Collections. Trying to collect on an already-paid debt.

Midland showed up recently on my reports (all 3), for a debt that a former roommate owed to SBC and placed for collection in 2006.  I disputed it on all three, and during the 30 day period received 3 seperate letters from MCM asking me to verify the debt for them.  (This would be what the term cajones refers to Smiley Tongue ) Needless to say I ignored the letters.  All of the disputes came back as deleted, and they're gone from my reports.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you dispute them as "Not Mine" ?
Message 4 of 7
kmcbarne
Established Member

Yeah, disputed as not mine, and now it's gone from all 3.  BTW, anyone know what happens if they try to put it back on again after it's already been removed?
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

kmcbarne wrote:
Yeah, disputed as not mine, and now it's gone from all 3.  BTW, anyone know what happens if they try to put it back on again after it's already been removed?

Always make hard copies of your reports!
Message 6 of 7
kmcbarne
Established Member

They're all saved as PDF's.  So if they do try to though I just have to redispute and send copies of the investigation results?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.