Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making My Two Year Old An AU

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Making My Two Year Old An AU

I know this may sound crazy but hear me out.  I have a daughter who will turn two next month and after reading all the positives (and negatives too) from being an AU, why not make her one.  One thing is for sure, she won't be out racking up debt.  Am I crazy or should I really think seriously about doing this.  Later when she is eighteen who knows maybe it will be a little easier for her to obtain unsecured credit.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Re: Making My Two Year Old An AU

Hmmm.. first instinct is to say I'd wait until it's closer to time for her to need credit. If AUs are still a legit way to help another person establish better scores when she is older, you can do it then. Since the history is immediately transferred, I don't see a benefit of doing it now as opposed to then.

However, when you consider identity theft as a factor, doing it now could help one keep a watchful eye on that through the years via credit file; it's better than being surprised X number of years from now when it might be too late.

I'm interested to see others' opinions on it, too.

Message Edited by SoulSmilen on 05-29-2007 09:50 PM
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a law preventing someone under the age of 13 having a credit file?

They might be able to have one, but I think if it is discovered they may delete it.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/helpfaq#reqchild

You can make them an AU at any time and the history goes all the way back. No advantage to do it now as far as I heard. Cute idea though. And sometimes having too much credit for a young person, (13-18) may not be a good idea either if they can't control them selves.
Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

SoulSmilen wrote:
Hmmm.. first instinct is to say I'd wait until it's closer to time for her to need credit. If AUs are still a legit way to help another person establish better scores when she is older, you can do it then. Since the history is immediately transferred, I don't see a benefit of doing it now as opposed to then.

However, when you consider identity theft as a factor, doing it now could help one keep a watchful eye on that through the years via credit file; it's better than being surprised X number of years from now when it might be too late.

I'm interested to see others' opinions on it, too.

Message Edited by SoulSmilen on 05-29-2007 09:50 PM

I am aware of the AU acquiring the full history of the account.  I have a an amex positive tl dating back to 1979 and I am only 37.  Perhaps, I can wait.  I certainly like the idea of using this as a tool to prevent id theft too.  I have read threads here where a toddler's id was stolen...amazing jerks.Smiley Mad  Not sure what the laws are on age limits and AU's.  I was very irresponsible with credit when I was in my 20's from 95-99 and never educated myself on my options so I had to suffer a long time and for many years for everything to fall off.  I want to due everything I can to help my daughter build credit and us it wisely and not be dummy as I was.  Maybe, I am going over board.Smiley Surprised
Message 4 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I would wait until 16.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:
I would wait until 16.

I agree-
I think you would open a door that is closed for a reason.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:
I would wait until 16.

"Happy Birthday, sweetheart.  Here is a perfect TL for you."

"But Daaaaaaadyyyyy! I wanted a caaaaaaaaaaaarrr!!!"
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  I wouldn't even consider it until at least 16.
Message 8 of 11
UnderEstimated
Contributor

When I added a AU to my AMEX, I remember reading that the AU had to be at least 15 years of age.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  With Amex you have to be at least 15 to be an AU.   I would question the legality of making a toddler an AU.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.