Did you mean: 

Merrick Bank - Charge Off Because of Returned Payments

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Merrick Bank - Charge Off Because of Returned Payments

Something does not make sense here
So, you were NEVER 30 days late?

They can't charge the account off if you aren't past due. They can close it, that's about it.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
Something does not make sense here
So, you were NEVER 30 days late?

They can't charge the account off if you aren't past due. They can close it, that's about it.

That's exactly my thinking!  I thought they could cancel the card but not charge it off.  The letter states they "are not confident" I could repay the balance.  That's it.  Not one late payment.  I just filed a complaint with CFPB but I wanted to send something to the CRAs but I don't even know where to start...

Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  I just tried to call again and it looks like they have transferred the account to a debt collector already.  They didn't waste anytime...

Oh man...well what you can do from here is contact CAs and offer to "pay for delete" this is if you pay balance then they will delete from your credit report. But first you have to wait and let them contact you.  The reason being, CAs pick these up for pennies on the dollar and they may offer you a "settlement" amount (witch is less then what the bill is if you don't pay it) but please note, Merrick could have added a couple of hundred for returned check fee, over the limit fees when they closed you down

but, if they sent it to debt collector and haven't sold it off, that can be an ok thing because if you pay it off then Merrick might let you back in after a year or so

Thank you for the advice.  I would only hate to negotiate with the CA because I don't believe the account should have been charged off in the first place.  

Message 13 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

File a complaint with the CPFB immediately -- the law requires that banks charge-off accounts that are 180 days delinquent but there is zero reason for a bank to charge-off an account with one late payment.

I just did, thank you!

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a little digging and the only result I came up with is that the lender CAN charge-off an account with just one returned payment IF the borrower was on a payment arrangement in the recent past and the lender informed them that any returned payments would lead to them considering the payment arrangement terms void.

Were you ever really late with Merrick and entered into a payment plan to catch up, and then got current?  Then had a reversed payment?

Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did a little digging and the only result I came up with is that the lender CAN charge-off an account with just one returned payment IF the borrower was on a payment arrangement in the recent past and the lender informed them that any returned payments would lead to them considering the payment arrangement terms void.

Were you ever really late with Merrick and entered into a payment plan to catch up, and then got current?  Then had a reversed payment?

No payment arragements.  I paid the enitre bill every month until 2/17, 3/17 I just paid the minimum due and 4/17 they charged it off after the three returned payments attempts.

Message 16 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh so they're saying that your February, March and April payments were all returned?  If so, that would make June 120 days late and can lead to chargeoff but I'm not sure.

CPFB should give you some clarity whenever they respond.

Message 17 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, there were three attmepts for my April payment that were returned.  Every month was paid on time. April 2017 wasn't even 30 days late.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ohhh so they're saying that your February, March and April payments were all returned?  If so, that would make June 120 days late and can lead to chargeoff but I'm not sure.

CPFB should give you some clarity whenever they respond.

Message 18 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something seems off here, like we're missing something. If I'm understanding correctly you always PIF up until March when you paid the minimum and let a balance carry forward. Then, in April you switched banks and had 3 returned payments before the April due date. They then CO before a payment was even late?

This seems really unlikely, even for a predatory lender (they want to keep their customers around to fee farm them). However, if this is the case, I would contact the collector as soon as you can, politely explain the situation, and arrange a deal to immediately pay the balance and have it erased from your report.

Assuming OP has told us everything, this serves as yet another warning against using "banks" like Credit One, Merrick, and First Premier. There are almost always better options available to you. After this issue is resolved, I'd recommend canceling your predatory accounts and going for a Discover and/or Cap1 secured card. They are pretty easy to get and they won't screw you over.

Best of luck!
Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why I gave the advice I did, OP stated he had 3 returned payments (for same month) and with Merrick, they state after one NSF they reserve the right (unless they changed the rules since DD got one in 16) to close account if it's not paid in full by due date. (originally wrote charge off..ment close)

OP also has the problem now that it's past the 30 days from original letter (he said 4/17) so that could be another reason it went to CO status if he hadn't paid it and can't get reinstated

I haven't ever had a CO but I have tried to help DD when she messed up her credit by not paying and a couple of NSFs and unfortunately these predatory lenders have people by the short hairs and one mistake can give them the ammunition they need to bend you over

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.