Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint.com

tag
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Mint.com

I'm thinking about using mint.com to keep up with all of my credit cards and other financial accounts. Anyone use it?

My only concern is if their database is hacked for some reason, thieves could have access to ALL of my financial data. Smiley Surprised

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Mint.com

@Cotton_Britches wrote:

I'm thinking about using mint.com to keep up with all of my credit cards and other financial accounts. Anyone use it?

My only concern is if their database is hacked for some reason, thieves could have access to ALL of my financial data. Smiley Surprised

I used to use Mint.com.  But now I use Pageonce to access  all accounts with my BlackBerry. 

Message 2 of 14
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I too use pageonce and I love it

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never use an Online program to keep track of my personal finances.  It's not just a matter of the company being hacked (though it could be a tasty target for hackers.)  The company may not even be a reputable company, and even if it is a good company, there could be a dishonest employee, or your financial data could be deliberately or accidentally disclosed to third parties (e.g., sold to marketeers who would not protect your data, etc.)  In my opinion, it's not worth the risk.  If my balance sheet is compromised, I have only myself to blame.  If I use some banking institution's software or a private firm with really cool software, and my finances are messed with, I'm to blame plus (two employees I never met?  Eight employees I don't know?  Twenty seven?)

Message 4 of 14
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Cotton_Britches wrote:

I use mint.com and LOVE it. If you have an Iphone or Android, the app is prettty neat!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a simple checkbook program and a dry erase board.

We keep our CC totals on the dry erase board so we can see where we are at financially a glance then keep track of income and payments (CC, rent, utils, etc)  in the checkbook software.

I dont think Id trust any more of my financial info to the web than what Im forced to Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 14
barbaralee
Established Contributor

The company may not even be a reputable company, and even if it is a good company, there could be a dishonest employee,

First off if someone can explain to me how to quote I'd appreciate it. Smiley Happy Second this is nothing against gangof 4 but I have become much more aware recently how a lot of people pick and choose when to trust. We hesitate on inputting info online, but don't blink an eye when the waitress runs off around the corner with the cc in hand to run a charge.

I use mint.com, and BofA.com, usaa.com, FTFCU.com, etc.com, and I choose to trust the highly encrypted website as much as I trust the overworked waitress, or the bank teller, or the CSR. That being said I am still proactive against potential compromise. I don't give out my cc over the phone if someone calls asking for it; I close the box that pops up and says I have a virus and I need to buy software; I use a cc with a smaller limit for online purchases... but in the end I find that the services of the .com financial software and banks outweigh the potential risks (which to me are no more risky than using your cc in other occurences).

On the subject of mint the only problem I have with them is that in some of my transactions I see they sometimes show a double charge. Like my Netflix is always listed as a double charge, so I regularly "exceed" by month budget. I am also looking for another software all in one program. I like mint, but the double transactions really annoy me. I am considering YNAB since I already do their method of budgeting. Currently my main software budget is Moneydance, which I use as a register. I haven't linked my bank to the program, I manually input everything in. I feel it helps me more to stay on top of things.

Message 7 of 14
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to avoid mint.com for now and try Moneydance.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 8 of 14
Smarter
Regular Contributor

Love Mint but hate the fact that it does not work with my Blackberry.  Just signed up with Pageonce and it looks great.  Will make keeping track of things much easier when I travel.  Thanks!  I learn so many new things on this board.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@barbaralee wrote:

First off if someone can explain to me how to quote I'd appreciate it. Smiley Happy

After you hit "Reply" near the top of Post Message form you'll see a "Quote" tab. Just click on it and you'll see the comments of the person you're replying to. You can even edit the qoute if you'd like. I do that sometimes to eliminate several older quotes being stacked on top of each other.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.