Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and have a question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New and have a question...

To my surprise I got approved for a credit card for the first time in years. So, if i pay the balance off every month ( i am only planning on using $50 of the limit per month) will this help improve my credit score? If yes does anyone know by how much? I really want to apply for a home loan next year and I am working on improving my score which is poor right now (upper 500's). I have 4 accounts in collections and I am planning to pay those off and I am wondering  how this will improve my chances assuming nothing else goes into collections and I pay everything  on time.

Thanks!

Message Edited by friskycat01 on 06-15-2007 02:54 PM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New and have a question...

friskycat01 wrote:
To my surprise I got approved for a credit card for the first time in years. So, if i pay the balance off every month ( i am only planning on using $50 of the limit per month) will this help improve my credit score? If yes does anyone know by how much? I really want to apply for a home loan next year and I am working on improving my score which is poor right now (upper 500's). I have 4 accounts in collections and I am planning to pay those off and I am wondering  how this will improve my chances assuming nothing else goes into collections and I pay everything  on time.

Congrats on the new CC. Keep the util at between 1 and 9 percent. Util means utilization. Assuming you have a $1,000 CL, then a balance of between $10 and $90 is what you want when the statement cycle closes. I suggest shooting for a 5 percent util balance, $50 in this example, to protect yourself. If you charge $20 for gas the day the cycle closes, you'll jump up to $70 and still be within the 1 to 9 percent range. Nothing magic about 5 percent. Just a safety net.

On your collections, are these all really old or fairly recent?
Message 2 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

It is wise to let FICO "see" a 1-9% utilization.  So if you use that amoiunt every month, it will be reported by the CC company, and then you can PIF afterwards.

If you use more, pay some off before the balance is reported
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops correction it's 5 accounts not 4. Smiley Sad Like I said, I am new so it is kind of confusing. Here is what my report says on my collections

Date assigned: Oct 01, 2003
Date reported: Jun 01, 2007
Date last active: Feb 01, 2002

Date assigned: Jun 01, 2006
Date reported: Jan 01, 2007
Date last active: Jan 01, 2005

Date assigned: Jul 01, 2005
Date reported: Nov 01, 2005
Date last active: Mar 01, 2005

Date assigned: Feb 01, 2004
Date reported: Jun 01, 2005
Date last active: Mar 01, 2003

Date assigned: Dec 01, 2003
Date reported: Apr 01, 2004
Date last active: Apr 01, 2003

Message Edited by friskycat01 on 06-15-2007 03:12 PM
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the CRAs and find out the DOFD, Date Of First Delinquency. Can you take a guess? It would likely be the date the account went 120 days late.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

PFD the collections. That will do more than anything else you can add! (Pay for deletion)

As for as using the credit cards, I believe you only need your balance around 1%-4% only when you need your score highest. Other wise you can use your cards as you wish. Just charge anything on them each month and pay in full. It doesn't matter if it is $1 or $100. Just activity, amount doesn't matter in the long run. And I'd say 4 months before you apply for your mortgage do not exceed 1% on your credit cards. You want to keep them as low as possible but still have activity. Creditors don't like to see minimum balances paid. PIF is best.

What do other people think about ignoring the low UTL when you don't need your score up? I've noticed whether I max my cards or barely use them, when I pay them off the score returns to the same? True or false for you? I only pay them off when I need my score up!

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-15-2007 06:25 PM
Message 6 of 17
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
PFD the collections. That will do more than anything else you can add! (Pay for deletion)

As for as using the credit cards, I believe you only need your balance around 1%-4% only when you need your score highest. Other wise you can use your cards as you wish. Just charge anything on them each month and pay in full. It doesn't matter if it is $1 or $100. Just activity, amount doesn't matter in the long run. And I'd say 4 months before you apply for your mortgage do not exceed 1% on your credit cards. You want to keep them as low as possible but still have activity. Creditors don't like to see minimum balances paid. PIF is best.

What do other people think about ignoring the low UTL when you don't need your score up? I've noticed whether I max my cards or barely use them, when I pay them off the score returns to the same? True or false for you? I only pay them off when I need my score up!

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-15-2007 06:25 PM

Util should be 1-9%, not under 1%. How do you expect to get max score with low util if you PIF every month? Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

How do you expect to get max score with low util if you PIF every month? Smiley Happy

My CCs report the statement balance.  So I keep the statement balance at 1-9% and PIF
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 17
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

How do you expect to get max score with low util if you PIF every month? Smiley Happy

My CCs report the statement balance.  So I keep the statement balance at 1-9% and PIF

Right.. I just want to make sure people know not to PIF before statemet is cut. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

Normally, the statement close date is about 5 days or so after the payment due date. Whether mailing a check, billpay, or paying online, check a couple of days before the statement close date so I know the balance.

In fact, it's also a good idea to check a couple days before the payment due date. Don't want a late or late fee.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.