Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh I'm MAD now!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh I'm MAD now!

I totalled my car back in 2000.  I was 2 months behind on the payments so the insurance did't pay off that amount which was approximately $800.  I paid a portion of that balance and the lender ended up sending the account to a collection agency.  I settled the remaining $624 for less than the full balance.  I don't have those documents anymore, but it's listed on my credit report that the balance was settled in November 2004.

Sooooo......3 years later this collection agency pops up trying to collect this $624, of which I settled in '04.  I sent them a copy of my credit report back in January proving this and even had the item deleted from my Trans Union and Equifax credit files.  Other than getting my bank to research this item to see if by chance I did a transfer or wrote them a check, I have no other proof than my credit report.  Is this legal?  Can they report on my credit file if it's been deleted and furthermore they're trying to get double the money here.  Needless to say.  I'm a bit salty!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a copy of that credit report, send it to them...

If you have a copy of that credit report, send it to them certified mail.  Request that they send you something in writing that they will no longer persue the debt.  Also send a copy to the original creditor.  Let tthem knwo if you don't receive something in writing that this debt is no longer owed, you will persue action through the Federal Trade Commission or copy the FTC on the first go round with an obvious cc in the footnote of the original letters.  Me being who I am would probably start an investigation anyway.  If they are doing this to you who knows who else they are scamming.  Welcome to the world of zombie debt colelctors.  Hold on to the one that is still reporting it settled for dear life.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice Brammy!I called the agency and was...

Thanks for the advice Brammy!I called the agency and was informed that the company they had collecting on their behalf closed the account but did not send them any supporting documentation as to why.  I faxed a letter and the copies of my credit files to show them that proof, but now that you've mentioned it, I may just mail out certified copies in addition so I can have physical proof they obtained the documents!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.