Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old HSBC BestBuy accounts

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Old HSBC BestBuy accounts

Hi everyone

Ive been trying to find out when Citibank took over the BestBuy cc portfolio.  It looks like they got it from Capital One who in turn had gotten it from HSBC.

Any help with this timeline would be greatly appreciated

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old HSBC BestBuy accounts

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great article. So Cap 1 acquires Best Buy retail portfolio in 2011 from HSBC and the sells it to Citi Group in 2013. Insightful article explains why banks would want to back retail cards and the risks involved as opposed to co-branded cards.
Message 3 of 6
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

TY Finstar

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Brings back memories. HSBC was pretty much pushing Best Buy cards as sub prime cards. I got a Best Buy Mastercard in Oct. 2011, just 9 months after my BK7 discharge, a whopping $500 CL with a $59 annual fee, but I was happy to get it, as I recall I responded to a pre-approval mailer. Cap One doubled it to $1k CL by calling in and asking, I should have asked Cap One to remove the AF, they might have done it. I got it doubled to $2k CL under Citi by apping and taking the HP.  But by 2015 I had rebuild enough that I was no longer willing to pay the AF and called a couple of the backdoor numbers trying to get it removed, the answer I always got was "if a card has an AF it will always have an AF", so I finally told them "well, this card will no longer have an AF, close it effective immediately".

But all's well that ends well. My very first CC after BK was an Orchard secured card, which Cap One also bought. I had avoided any creditor I had included in BK, figured they would never approve me again. But then I found MyFico and read how forgiving Cap One is and app'd for a Quicksilver card after I had closed Best Buy. I nearly fell out of my chair when they instantly approved me for a $10k CL, the Orchard & Best Buy post BK positive Cap One tradelines probably helped.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the link.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.