cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions needed

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@Tapdnsr25 wrote:
Long story short, after doing an application on Ford's website, a Ford dealership took my info from that and ran it again, through all 3 bureaus. After I told them I did not want any more inquiries and was not going to fill out another credit application (through them).
Isn't that a violation? Since they did it after I told them I was NOT wanting that done?
I'm SO mad I want to sue them over it. And to make it worse, they have THE vehicle I want. (I've searched all over the country). So I want to contact their GM and demand they have the inquiries removed and threaten to sue them, but I realize you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. That being said, I really am willing to take it to court if necessary. As most of us here know, inquiries are a much bigger deal than just a few points. What would you guys do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't all of these be lumped into one inquiry if they're within 30 days. I think you'll be okay on recon for any CC if inqs. are the only issue.

GOALS: Garden til DEC 2020 and 800 Club

Scores
JAN 2019: EX 794, TU 783, EQ 801
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX ED $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $15.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX Magnate $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 11 of 37
Regular Contributor

Re: Opinions needed

I think it works like this If the inquiry is from auto,mortgage or student loan they will not not count for the first 30 days.Latest versions like Fico 8 or 9 if the auto,mortgage or student loans  have multiple  inquiries that are older than 30 days and are no older than 45 days apart they  will counts as one inquiry.Older Fico versions are 14 days apart.One inquiry should count about 3-5 points.Small Potatoes...

Message 12 of 37
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions needed

For 2019, what is the take home with this example?

What was the original reason for filling out an application with Ford? 

 

At this point, I would recommend escalating to Ford. Spend some time on the phone asking them who has access to your application and information? Ask them if Ford allows dealers to use the information you provided them to run their own credit inquiry?

 

Contact your state's, Attorney General. They can give you information on if you were wronged.

 

Contact the Better Business Bureau and open a complaint.

 

I agree with you that this seems wrong and there are ways to assert yourself without jumping to hiring an attorney.

 

I think that trying to fight this issue on principle sounds expensive and frustrating.

Blow up their social media. Depending on the market, some dealers have been very responsive.

 

Given your situation would you advise people not to apply for credit via Ford's website (or any car manufacturer)?

 

Good luck!

Message 13 of 37
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Opinions needed

This is an utter non-issue.

 

We're talking mortgage, auto inquiries taken with a 14-day period are scored as one inquiry on EX FICO 2 which is the most rigid on this metric for the mortgage trifecta of scores.

 

Any penalty to your mortgage scores was incurred with the inquiry submitted through FMC directly, and the dealer one (or multiple) are absolutely irrelevant (assuming on the same bureau).  DIYcredit is also correct to point out the 30 day grace period but we're talking mortgage app sometime in the future rather than today.  

 

There's literally no basis to be angry let alone legal procedings: just go pick up your sweet ride and be done with it honestly, even thank them.  99.9% of mortgage lenders won't even make you explain any inquiries that aren't within the last 4 months anyway, and yes indeed inquiries are a handful of points unless you have a slew of them at least when talking FICO 8 and below, and nobody, literally no one, is underwriting a mortgage on FICO 9 where that might not be the case.

 

Life's too short, care about things that are important: this isn't Smiley Happy.




        
Message 14 of 37
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions needed

OP I agree with both your position and your intended method of resolve. IMO, and contrary to the opinion of others, the point is not how the DEALERSHIP'S inquiries categorically group or age, but rather THE FACT THAT THE DEALERSHIP'S INQUIRIES WERE SPECIFICALLY NOT PERMITTED BY YOU. Good luck!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben

SCORES: Excellent · 830 to 848
INQUIRIES: 0
UNIVERSAL REVOLVERS: $200K Club
NUMBER OF CC ACCOUNTS: Less than 10
CARD USAGE: Minimal
CREDIT HISTORY: Very Lengthy · Seasoned Accounts
INCOME: Sufficient
UTIL: 1-2%
PYMTS: 100% Positive · Always PIF · AZEO
INSTALLMENTS: No thanks!
ASSETS: 100% Equity
TOTALLY REFUSE TO: Pay Interest or Annual Fees, Combine Accounts, Reduce Limits, Submit 4506-T, SCT, App Spree, Accumulate Inquiries, Do business with Comenity, Synchrony, Cap One, Wells Fargo, Citi, Barclays or any other credit-cancerous lending institutions
Message 15 of 37
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@SOGGIE wrote:
OP I agree with both your position and your intended method of resolve. IMO, and contrary to the opinion of others, the point is not how the DEALERSHIP'S inquiries categorically group or age, but rather THE FACT THAT THE DEALERSHIP'S INQUIRIES WERE SPECIFICALLY NOT PERMITTED BY YOU. Good luck!

This is false. There is no law that I am aware of that puts a limit on how many pulls can be done when you seek credit. Since these literally aren’t any difference in scoring and are just viewed as regular every day shopping for the best rates, there are no damages. 



Scores 1/1/19:
Scores 2/11/19:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 16 of 37
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@Saeren wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
OP I agree with both your position and your intended method of resolve. IMO, and contrary to the opinion of others, the point is not how the DEALERSHIP'S inquiries categorically group or age, but rather THE FACT THAT THE DEALERSHIP'S INQUIRIES WERE SPECIFICALLY NOT PERMITTED BY YOU. Good luck!

This is false. There is no law that I am aware of that puts a limit on how many pulls can be done when you seek credit. Since these literally aren’t any difference in scoring and are just viewed as regular every day shopping for the best rates, there are no damages. 


False? SMH Saeren! A person who carefully reads OP's original and subsequent posts would understand that 2 separate business entities accessed OP's consumer credit profile: (1) Ford Financial Services--with OP's consent and (2) a Ford dealership--without OP's consent.

 

The dealership employee was specifically instructed by OP not to access OP's consumer credit profile. Therefore, the dealership DID NOT have the 'Permissible Use' required by law. Because the dealership employee disregarded OP's request, OP incurred 3 unauthorized HP inquiries.

 

OP was seeking an answer to his/her question. "... Isn't that a violation? Since they did it after I told them I was NOT wanting that done?" OP did not question allowable number of inquiry pulls by the dealership, but rather if whether the dealership was in violation for unauthorized access to their credit file. Yet your response was?

 

I provided OP my opinion. Now I provide you the same because it appears that you neither read and/or understood the matter. Nor (IMO) did you contribute with a response that directly relates to the issue as presented by OP. ~Peace

 

FYI, there are many consumers who have the same grievance as OP with regard to dealership salesmen acquiring unauthorized credit reports--resulting in HP inquiry dings.


Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben

SCORES: Excellent · 830 to 848
INQUIRIES: 0
UNIVERSAL REVOLVERS: $200K Club
NUMBER OF CC ACCOUNTS: Less than 10
CARD USAGE: Minimal
CREDIT HISTORY: Very Lengthy · Seasoned Accounts
INCOME: Sufficient
UTIL: 1-2%
PYMTS: 100% Positive · Always PIF · AZEO
INSTALLMENTS: No thanks!
ASSETS: 100% Equity
TOTALLY REFUSE TO: Pay Interest or Annual Fees, Combine Accounts, Reduce Limits, Submit 4506-T, SCT, App Spree, Accumulate Inquiries, Do business with Comenity, Synchrony, Cap One, Wells Fargo, Citi, Barclays or any other credit-cancerous lending institutions
Message 17 of 37
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@SOGGIE wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
OP I agree with both your position and your intended method of resolve. IMO, and contrary to the opinion of others, the point is not how the DEALERSHIP'S inquiries categorically group or age, but rather THE FACT THAT THE DEALERSHIP'S INQUIRIES WERE SPECIFICALLY NOT PERMITTED BY YOU. Good luck!

This is false. There is no law that I am aware of that puts a limit on how many pulls can be done when you seek credit. Since these literally aren’t any difference in scoring and are just viewed as regular every day shopping for the best rates, there are no damages. 


False? SMH Saeren! A person who carefully reads OP's original and subsequent posts would understand that 2 separate business entities accessed OP's consumer credit profile: (1) Ford Financial Services--with OP's consent and (2) a Ford dealership--without OP's consent.

 

The dealership employee was specifically instructed by OP not to access OP's consumer credit profile. Therefore, the dealership DID NOT have the 'Permissible Use' required by law. Because the dealership employee disregarded OP's request, OP incurred 3 unauthorized HP inquiries.

 

OP was seeking an answer to his/her question. "... Isn't that a violation? Since they did it after I told them I was NOT wanting that done?" OP did not question allowable number of inquiry pulls by the dealership, but rather if whether the dealership was in violation for unauthorized access to their credit file. Yet your response was?

 

I provided OP my opinion. Now I provide you the same because it appears that you neither read and/or understood the matter. Nor (IMO) did you contribute with a response that directly relates to the issue as presented by OP. ~Peace

 

FYI, there are many consumers who have the same grievance as OP with regard to dealership salesmen acquiring unauthorized credit reports--resulting in HP inquiry dings.


I understood it completely. If you go to a dealership to seek credit, you are authorizing them to conduct pulls on your credit. If you want to secure financing and control how the HPs come, get your financing before you go shopping. 



Scores 1/1/19:
Scores 2/11/19:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 18 of 37
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@Saeren wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:
OP I agree with both your position and your intended method of resolve. IMO, and contrary to the opinion of others, the point is not how the DEALERSHIP'S inquiries categorically group or age, but rather THE FACT THAT THE DEALERSHIP'S INQUIRIES WERE SPECIFICALLY NOT PERMITTED BY YOU. Good luck!

This is false. There is no law that I am aware of that puts a limit on how many pulls can be done when you seek credit. Since these literally aren’t any difference in scoring and are just viewed as regular every day shopping for the best rates, there are no damages. 


False? SMH Saeren! A person who carefully reads OP's original and subsequent posts would understand that 2 separate business entities accessed OP's consumer credit profile: (1) Ford Financial Services--with OP's consent and (2) a Ford dealership--without OP's consent.

 

The dealership employee was specifically instructed by OP not to access OP's consumer credit profile. Therefore, the dealership DID NOT have the 'Permissible Use' required by law. Because the dealership employee disregarded OP's request, OP incurred 3 unauthorized HP inquiries.

 

OP was seeking an answer to his/her question. "... Isn't that a violation? Since they did it after I told them I was NOT wanting that done?" OP did not question allowable number of inquiry pulls by the dealership, but rather if whether the dealership was in violation for unauthorized access to their credit file. Yet your response was?

 

I provided OP my opinion. Now I provide you the same because it appears that you neither read and/or understood the matter. Nor (IMO) did you contribute with a response that directly relates to the issue as presented by OP. ~Peace

 

FYI, there are many consumers who have the same grievance as OP with regard to dealership salesmen acquiring unauthorized credit reports--resulting in HP inquiry dings.


I understood it completely. If you go to a dealership to seek credit, you are authorizing them to conduct pulls on your credit. If you want to secure financing and control how the HPs come, get your financing before you go shopping. 


@Saeren

1) Yet you appear to still NOT understand it completely.

 

2) OP DID NOT go to a dealership to seek credit.

 

3) OP DID NOT authorize the dealership to conduct credit pulls.

 

4) OP did secure financing prior to shopping in effort to control (minimize) HP credit inquiries.

 

5) Bottom Line....the dealership did not have required authorization to access OP's credit file. They are in violation.

 

6) OP (like many members) posted a question--seeking helpful responses from experienced or knowledgeable members on their subject. Your responses to OP's question are of no value whatsoever..

 


Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben

SCORES: Excellent · 830 to 848
INQUIRIES: 0
UNIVERSAL REVOLVERS: $200K Club
NUMBER OF CC ACCOUNTS: Less than 10
CARD USAGE: Minimal
CREDIT HISTORY: Very Lengthy · Seasoned Accounts
INCOME: Sufficient
UTIL: 1-2%
PYMTS: 100% Positive · Always PIF · AZEO
INSTALLMENTS: No thanks!
ASSETS: 100% Equity
TOTALLY REFUSE TO: Pay Interest or Annual Fees, Combine Accounts, Reduce Limits, Submit 4506-T, SCT, App Spree, Accumulate Inquiries, Do business with Comenity, Synchrony, Cap One, Wells Fargo, Citi, Barclays or any other credit-cancerous lending institutions
Message 19 of 37
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions needed


@Tapdnsr25 wrote:
Long story short, after doing an application on Ford's website, a Ford dealership took my info from that and ran it again, through all 3 bureaus. After I told them I did not want any more inquiries and was not going to fill out another credit application (through them).
Isn't that a violation? Since they did it after I told them I was NOT wanting that done?
I'm SO mad I want to sue them over it. And to make it worse, they have THE vehicle I want. (I've searched all over the country). So I want to contact their GM and demand they have the inquiries removed and threaten to sue them, but I realize you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. That being said, I really am willing to take it to court if necessary. As most of us here know, inquiries are a much bigger deal than just a few points. What would you guys do?

One other suggestion I might add is to use the Forum Search Query using the keywords, 'dealership inquiry.' There you may be able to reach out to other members with this similar experience, who can provide you with info on how their issue was resolved. Good luck!


Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben

SCORES: Excellent · 830 to 848
INQUIRIES: 0
UNIVERSAL REVOLVERS: $200K Club
NUMBER OF CC ACCOUNTS: Less than 10
CARD USAGE: Minimal
CREDIT HISTORY: Very Lengthy · Seasoned Accounts
INCOME: Sufficient
UTIL: 1-2%
PYMTS: 100% Positive · Always PIF · AZEO
INSTALLMENTS: No thanks!
ASSETS: 100% Equity
TOTALLY REFUSE TO: Pay Interest or Annual Fees, Combine Accounts, Reduce Limits, Submit 4506-T, SCT, App Spree, Accumulate Inquiries, Do business with Comenity, Synchrony, Cap One, Wells Fargo, Citi, Barclays or any other credit-cancerous lending institutions
Message 20 of 37