cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PFD or GW

tag
rbee4

PFD or GW

I am just beginning my journey to clean up my credit.  I have recently pulled my credit and I have a new collection account that went on my credit report.  I think that this would be the best place to begin my efforts.  Unfortunately, it was pretty much my own fault.  I had paid for a subscription for an internet web service that I ended up never using.  After the year was up, they automatically renewed my account, and I waited too long to cancel and I never paid them for the renewal.  I got a letter saying that they were going to send it to collections, so I finally got on the ball and called to cancel and pay off the cancelation fee, but they wouldn't accept my payment because it was sold to a CA.  When I called to get information from the CA, they tried to charge me twice as much as what I owed to settle the debt.  I refused to pay it over the phone and asked that they send me a letter.  In the mean time, the debt showed up on my credit report.  My question is, do I write them a PFD letter saying that it isn't my debt, but I'm willing to compromise and pay in full, and if they do not accept the terms that I would validate the debt (similar to the example), or should I write a GW letter and ask them to delete if I pay in full and own up to it being my debt.  I think if they validate the debt it will come back as a valid debt. 

Thanks for in advance for your responses.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sl
Established Contributor

Re: PFD or GW

I would start by writing/sending a DV letter.  Make them verify the debt to you.

Once you get that, do a PFD letter.  Do not pay until until you get it in writting that they will delete it from your CR.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Sadie
Message 2 of 4
rbee4

Do you make them validate the debt, just so that you get in writing the amount that is owed?  Do you do this even if the CA has already sent you a letter?  I'm not sure if they have, we just moved into a new apartment.  Some things have been packed up for the last few months.  I am about to finish up graduate school, so I want to get things in order so that when I get out into the real world, buying a house is actually a possibility.
Message 3 of 4
ronq
Regular Contributor

I've had this happen to me and sometimes just talking to the account rep at the CA in a friendly tone can do wonders. I was told once that they couldn't promise it would be deleted over the phone but she would do her best. Remember that these are just people doing their jobs and being polite and friendly goes a long way. I had one removed after I had paid it just because I very nice and friendly to the account rep at the CA even though I had paid the original creditor and not the CA.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.