Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Off Entire CC DEBT

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Paid Off Entire CC DEBT

@dtran14 wrote:

My CC's are as following; Chase Freedom, Wells Fargo Platinum, Bank Of America Cash Rewards, Barclay Card US, Walmart Store Card, Target Red Card, Help Card, Capital One, Amazon Store Card, and PayPal Credit. According to Credit Karma, I have 12 Credit Inquiries, should I just wait til the end of the year of 2015 to apply for the AmEx or do it within these next few months? I have 700's across all 3 Bureaus and in March or April I am expecting to open up a auto-loan. 

The term people are using is "Gardening" which I want to do as well but I really want to get my hands on an AmEx before I start. Should I wait? If so how long... don't want an extra inquriy on my report and get denied. Smiley Indifferent

Wow, you are doing a great job for your age!

My advice to most people is to get 5 to 8 quality credit cards as soon as you can and keep them open for your lifetime and you already have them! It is very important to not close any of your CCs from here on out unless you absolutely have to for some reason. When all these cards are 10 years old you will have stellar scores that will be VERY stable so that when new credit is added like an auto loan, your scores won't drop very much if at all.

I agree that your next step should be an AMEX card. I would suggest waiting to app for the AMEX until you have 6 months distance from your last inquiry and you should easily be approved.

Make sure to set-up auto payments for minimum payments on all your accounts. One missed payment can derail you for quite a while.

You are doing a great job in building your credit!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay on time and if you use several cards pay them off 

Message 12 of 16
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

I have at least 8 cards reporting each month

I PIF, but I dont mess with beating the statement.

Utilization is < 5%

this manipulating paying off to avoid statement balances except on 1 card is silly, imo

Unless you have high utilization

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 13 of 16
dtran14
Valued Member

Just got approved for Amex Premier Gold! Finally apart of the Amex family! Beyond excited. I'm going to pay off all my balance and stick to using my Amex, looking forward to the Chase Saphire once I garden a bit so that can be my carry balance card. ^.^

Message 14 of 16
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Welcome to Amex Family and Great Job paying off your debt!!!
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on paying off your balance! You're doing it right.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.