cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment History question

aliensfan
Established Member

Payment History question

I had an account with verizon that was placed in their in house collections and reported to the bureaus Feb 2019. I paid this as soon as I realized it had been reported.  Verizon Reported it paid in full.  Fast forward to Dec 2021 when they updated following a dispute.  They verified the account as a paid collection but the entire payment history prior to 2021 disappeared. Experian assigned the collection information to the date of the update creating a brand new collection "collection since Nov 2021"  I lost 39 points overnight.

Verizon says that they don't provide a payment history, only date of collection and date paid. They say Experian creates the history and to take it up with them. Experian says they don't create the history and to redispute with Verizon since they are reporting only a partial payment history. Who is correct? They both ackowladge that a new collection is not possible but Experian won't change it without instruction to from Verizon and Verizon insists they are reporting accurately and this should be fixed by experian.

Any insite into this would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

A Re: Payment History question

Try a Goodwill campaign, maybe your story with a polite request to remove the negative information will work.

Link in my signature takes you to an informative thread on Goodwill campaigns. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 10
aliensfan
Established Member

Re: A Re: Payment History question

Verizon refuses to delete. The problem isn't the collection.  The issue is that it was aging and my scores were recovering as it has been paid in full for 3 years. Since this was paid in full in 2019 and reported with $0 balance, it is not possible to have a new delinquency or collection in 2021.  But that is exactly what has happened.  The history for 2019, when this was reported and paid is gone.

Both Verizon and EX are pointing the finger at each other.  Experian says they see it was paid with $0 balance in 2019 but won't fix it without Verizon telling them to.  Verizon said they reported it as paid so they won't change it either. I had been working with the Executive Relations Team and was forwarded a copy of the letter they sent the bureaus.  It just says the account is paid and dated 2021. I told them to say it was paid in 2019, but they refuse. They are also not reporting the correct amount paid.  My file now says "collection since Nov 2021".

Someone is lying about removing the history, I just don't know who to argue with.

Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Disputing accurate info hoping to get it removed will come back verified and updated as new. We always discourage it on here. So its true Verizon had nothing to do with it updating. They verified the account dispute. Its how the CRA's do things. Yes some do get things deleted. But the success % is very very low. Not worth it.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 4 of 10
aliensfan
Established Member

Thank you for your replies. I wasn't trying to get it deleted. They were reporting the wrong amount paid in 2019 and I wanted that corrected. I know disputing an unpaid account can cause all current delinquencies to be updated and make the collection appear new but this has been paid for 3 years and updated since then without problems. It's not being reported as an update on a paid collection.  it's being reported as having gone to collection Nov 2021 and paid Dec 2021. When I called EX the supervisor said it was because verizon didn't report a payment history prior to 2021 which he thought was odd since that's what was being challenged.

I knew I could take a ding for the update but this is not just appearing new.  It actually is new.  It's like the 2019 payment never happened and the system wiped that year clean. The payment history now has a "C"  on Nov 2021 and the remark in the file states  "collection SINCE Nov 2021".  Maybe I'm missing something but even verizon says that's not what they reported and to have EX fix it. 

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Story changed a wee bit. If its a $0 balance. What was paid really doesnt matter. Your only real concern is the date paid is incorrect. If you have documentation of the 2019 payment and anything else that applies. You can file a complaint on the CFPB website and explain what happened. Good Luck!

Homeowner since Sept 2020. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 6 of 10
aliensfan
Established Member

What changed? I said it was reported 2019 and I paid it 2019.  They are no longer reporting 2019 in payment history so now account says collection since Nov 2021. Both EX and verizon blame each other. They each claim it is the other that supplies payment history. I believe verizon is not supplying it since all 3 bureaus are reporting missed payments this year.

I just am asking where this history comes from. Sorry if I'm not explaining clearly enough. I've ,just been going back and with them and my head is spinning.

Message 7 of 10
aliensfan
Established Member

I sent EX all records I have Inc. proof of payment from 2019. Verizon says they re reporting 2019 EX says they're not. The fact it's paid isn't the issue, it's when. I did file with cfpb and attny general.  I just don't know who is to blame anymore.  Thanks for your input. 

Message 8 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

They're both to blame. Verizon because they refuse to send out an update, and EX because they refuse to properly investigate your dispute. Ultimately EX reports whatever Verizon gives them.

Last App: 12/27/2021
Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Signature

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 10
aliensfan
Established Member

So ultimately it sounds like it comes down to verizon.  They are just impossible to deal with. EX is sending a "very specific" request to them for this information so I hope that fixes this. Thanks so much for your replies. I'll keep you updated.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.