cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help. Extended fraud alert on credit that I never placed, now I can't buy my car!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help. Extended fraud alert on credit that I never placed, now I can't buy my car!

Hi there. I'm very upset at the moment. I go to buy my first car yesterday, and all the sudden I'm informed I have a extended fraud alert. I'm at first really confused, then scared, so I call capital one and they say they have to verify my identity by calling the phone number on my consumer report. I have a credit card with them and two other credit cards and the number I put in when I applied is my current number. I wait an hour for a call, nothing, so I call them back. It's an old number from like 4 years ago that they are trying to call. So they can't tell me who put it on my credit. I call Transunion, they don't see a fraud alert. Equifax doesn't see one either. So I pull all three of my credit reports and it's only showing on my Experian, and in the personal statement section it states that any credit company needs to contact me by my old phone number before they can approve it. So I don't know how to change my phone number, if I can do it over the phone, or have this stupid fraud alert taken off. It says it's on there for 7 years and never even knew what it was. I don't have anything weird on my credit, the same old stuff I've had on there. I work everyday and don't have barely any days off to go get this car, and I am car less at the moment so therefore I needed to buy my car this weekend. I'm so upset and frustrated. No one contacted me or did anything before putting this scary fraud alert crap on my credit. Help! Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help. Extended fraud alert on credit that I never placed, now I can't buy my car!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there. I'm very upset at the moment. I go to buy my first car yesterday, and all the sudden I'm informed I have a extended fraud alert. I'm at first really confused, then scared, so I call capital one and they say they have to verify my identity by calling the phone number on my consumer report. I have a credit card with them and two other credit cards and the number I put in when I applied is my current number. I wait an hour for a call, nothing, so I call them back. It's an old number from like 4 years ago that they are trying to call. So they can't tell me who put it on my credit. I call Transunion, they don't see a fraud alert. Equifax doesn't see one either. So I pull all three of my credit reports and it's only showing on my Experian, and in the personal statement section it states that any credit company needs to contact me by my old phone number before they can approve it. So I don't know how to change my phone number, if I can do it over the phone, or have this stupid fraud alert taken off. It says it's on there for 7 years and never even knew what it was. I don't have anything weird on my credit, the same old stuff I've had on there. I work everyday and don't have barely any days off to go get this car, and I am car less at the moment so therefore I needed to buy my car this weekend. I'm so upset and frustrated. No one contacted me or did anything before putting this scary fraud alert crap on my credit. Help! Smiley Sad 

Welcome to MyFico

Sorry for the trouble you are experiencing.  You need to call Exoerian directly and deal with them in trying to remove the fraud alert.  I'm not sure of the process but they should be able to help you.  Good luck

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please help. Extended fraud alert on credit that I never placed, now I can't buy my car!

Thank you. I am really hoping they are open today. I just want to get my new car and it's very frustrating when they put something like this On my credit without contacting me. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I am really hoping they are open today. I just want to get my new car and it's very frustrating when they put something like this On my credit without contacting me. 

I'm sure it is frustrating.  No idea how a fraud alert could be put on your report without you having some input.  Be interesting to find out what happened.  Unfortunately from a preliminary look, it appears their customer service center is only open M-F.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says there is a number that opens at 11 am eastern time to call and I am praying they can help me. I was so excited yesterday. Also, when I called capital one yesterday they were telling me that I did have a fraud alert, just called a couple minutes ago and he said he could not see any fraud alert and that he was looking at all three credit reports including Experian. So just have to wait to call Experian. :/ 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up with this same problem years ago with Ex...I disputed several things on my report and then they were removed. They told me because of the dispute reasons they have a right to place the personal alert on your reports. If you disputed something that could have been the trigger. I simply went on their website and did the steps to a dispute and deleted just the personal statement. Not sure if you can still do that online but that's how I got mines removed, I couldn't get anything that pulled EX until it was gone. Good Luck

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Under FCRA 605A, both initial and extended fraud alerts are only placed in your flle based on a request of the consumer or his authorized rep, and can be removed at any time simply by instructing the CRA to remove.

While a fraud alert should not be placed in your file without your request, the CRAs routinely assume, once any issue or potential fraud or identity theft has been raised or asserted, such as in a dispute, that the consumer is inherently requesting a fraud alert.  Not a bad practice per se.

However, if you disagree, then they MUST remove upon receipt of removal notice from the consumer.

It should not be a problem to get removed.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.