Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help

tag
DSTforlife
Regular Contributor

Re: Please help

Hello!

I agree with putting all of your bills on auto pay to eliminate late pay issues.  You should be able to select 'minimum payment due' when setting the the autopay.  Keep in mind, some credit card companies will still deduct the autopay even if you make a separate one time payment....make sure to read the fine print.

Message 21 of 31
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Yeah, cc's are the only thing I'm really thinking I'd be anal-retentive about because of the cost benefit.  Now technically I "do" currently manage them online, but its got me thinking.  Now that I only have a balance on 2 or 3 I'm much more lax.  Really starting to appreciate less cards with higher limits.  I've got a note document saved on my phone with the due date/balance of each.  The last one I paid is starred and I keep them paid 2 weeks or so in advance of the due date, sometimes even more.  Imma be honest tho, I'm kinda wearing out on it.

Wondering if its a 50's thing (I'm 54), although I always assume the group is significantly younger than I am.

Message 22 of 31
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Yeah, cc's are the only thing I'm really thinking I'd be anal-retentive about because of the cost benefit.  Now technically I "do" currently manage them online, but its got me thinking.  Now that I only have a balance on 2 or 3 I'm much more lax. 

Really starting to appreciate less cards with higher limits. 

I've got a note document saved on my phone with the due date/balance of each.  The last one I paid is starred and I keep them paid 2 weeks or so in advance of the due date, sometimes even more.  Imma be honest tho, I'm kinda wearing out on it.

Wondering if its a 50's thing (I'm 54), although I always assume the group is significantly younger than I am.

You may be onto something, @805orbust, although it also appears to me that we have members our age or even older that seem to like a large set of cards.  I started experimenting and adding cards when I came to My Fico a few years ago.  I've never been a one-and-done guy but six or so cards has usually been enough for me to carry, maybe one or two more at home.  I've added cards up until having 21, more than I've ever had in decades of credit.  Now, I'm primarily on a down-sizing mission along with seeking those higher limits per card.  Rewards are great, but IMO, over-optimizing them isn't worth the extra time and hassles.  Rotating category cards are a pain.  I want to focus more on uncapped and uncategorized cards.   I was also diversifying among lenders until I reached a point where I had to ask myself how far I really needed to be diversified.  Diversity is important, but only to a degree for most of us.  After that, it's just unnecessary complexity. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 31
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Yeah, cc's are the only thing I'm really thinking I'd be anal-retentive about because of the cost benefit.  Now technically I "do" currently manage them online, but its got me thinking.  Now that I only have a balance on 2 or 3 I'm much more lax.  Really starting to appreciate less cards with higher limits.  I've got a note document saved on my phone with the due date/balance of each.  The last one I paid is starred and I keep them paid 2 weeks or so in advance of the due date, sometimes even more.  Imma be honest tho, I'm kinda wearing out on it.

Or a 60s thing....in my case. Smiley Happy

But the 96% of Americans who supplied the statistic for that Jeopardy! question couldn't have all been 50+. IOW, when it comes to paperless billing, paying bills online, snail mail statements, etc., 96% said they pay their bills online but still prefer receiving paper statements--and there's no way they're all over 50!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 24 of 31
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I really love these moments when you've thought you were the oddball and it turns out that you've got company @SoCalGardener and @Aim_High.

Message 25 of 31
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

I really love these moments when you've thought you were the oddball and it turns out that you've got company @SoCalGardener and @Aim_High.

Indeed! Smiley Happy

I have to say that when I saw that Jeopardy! question, I thought, hmmmm....so it turns out I'm just one of MANY! I mean that's a *huge* majority, 96%! It's not like 5% or 10%. So I suspect quite a few members/lurkers here are among the 96 but just haven't had reason to say anything.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 26 of 31
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@805orbust wrote:

Indeed! Smiley Happy

I have to say that when I saw that Jeopardy! question, I thought, hmmmm....so it turns out I'm just one of MANY! I mean that's a *huge* majority, 96%! It's not like 5% or 10%. So I suspect quite a few members/lurkers here are among the 96 but just haven't had reason to say anything.

I wonder if this is the study your question was based on, @SoCalGardener.   Not surprising, but it was sponsored by the EMA (Envelope Manufacturer's Association!!)  LOL Smiley LOL and their website is "keep me posted na  . org.   This survey is a little dated, from 2014.

The stats aren't quite at 96% and it depends on how the question is phrased.  There is a significant amount of the population who likes all-electronic, but still over half prefer paper in at least some billing.  However, the overriding majority believe paper should be available and most prefer paper. 

Key Findings

88% believe that paper format should continue to be provided to those who want it.

65% of adult Americans prefer paper delivery for at least some of their bills and statements.

The key reasons are: “I am more likely to see it / less likely to miss it or forget to pay it.” Other reasons cited are that they prefer to store these documents in paper format, and that in the case of a dispute, the paper format is more compelling.

Against Forced Change

Americans do not want to be forced to shift from paper format to electronic / digital format.

Charging a Fee for the Right to Choose is Wrong

90.4% of respondents believe that companies that send bills, statements, and informational documents such as proxies or privacy statements should be required, if necessary, to allow customers to continue receiving these documents in paper format at no extra charge, no loss of discount, or other penalty.

Additionally, 78% of survey respondents say that “A paper check should always be accepted [for payment of bills]without any fee or other penalty, even if other forms of payment are available.”

Digital Shifts Do Not Benefit the Consumer

87% of adult Americans agree that “The main reason companies want to shift customers to electronic delivery formats is to save money, not to be environmentally responsible.

See the survey >>HERE<<

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 31
805orbust
Valued Contributor

OMG Hilarious!!  The Envelope guys are studying it!!  Well at least we're not the oddballs! It just seems like a nice rhythm to scan a paper statement as it rolls in. And then foolproof against fraud, and of course it bolsters the kindling pile out by the fire pit!

Message 28 of 31
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@805orbust wrote:

Indeed! Smiley Happy

I wonder if this is the study your question was based on, @SoCalGardener.   Not surprising, but it was sponsored by the EMA (Envelope Manufacturer's Association!!)  LOL Smiley LOL and their website is "keep me posted na  . org.   This survey is a little dated, from 2014.

The stats aren't quite at 96% and it depends on how the question is phrased.  There is a significant amount of the population who likes all-electronic, but still over half prefer paper in at least some billing.  However, the overriding majority believe paper should be available and most prefer paper. 

Key Findings

88% believe that paper format should continue to be provided to those who want it.

65% of adult Americans prefer paper delivery for at least some of their bills and statements.

The key reasons are: “I am more likely to see it / less likely to miss it or forget to pay it.” Other reasons cited are that they prefer to store these documents in paper format, and that in the case of a dispute, the paper format is more compelling.

Against Forced Change

Americans do not want to be forced to shift from paper format to electronic / digital format.

Charging a Fee for the Right to Choose is Wrong

90.4% of respondents believe that companies that send bills, statements, and informational documents such as
proxies or privacy statements should be required, if necessary, to allow customers to continue receiving these
documents in paper format at no extra charge, no loss of discount, or other penalty.

Additionally, 78% of survey respondents say that “A paper check should always be accepted [for payment of bills]
without any fee or other penalty, even if other forms of payment are available.”

Digital Shifts Do Not Benefit the Consumer

87% of adult Americans agree that “The main reason companies want to shift customers to electronic delivery formats
is to save money, not to be environmentally responsible.

See the survey >>HERE<<

No, that's not the survey--I don't remember its exact date, but I'm pretty sure it was newer than that. The episode aired shortly before Alex Trebek died, and that was at the end of 2020.

A thing about envelopes: almost all of my bills stopped sending return envelopes a long time ago--once they realized that I always pay electronically--but there are a few hold-outs. The one that's most ironic to me is BofA. Why? Because it's a BofA card, paid via a BofA checking account, via BofA's bill pay....yet they send an envelope with the bill!

Message 29 of 31
housejunkie81
Valued Member

update::: did the digital route first(email) they called the next day and said they will help but no guarantees. Is that a good sign or should I mail a copy of the email too

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.