Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Recovery trying to sue me

tag
MITZIE
Visitor

Portfolio Recovery trying to sue me

Hello Im from AZ, I need help with this if possible

I suddenly received a letter in the mail from PR a jugment from court demanding a payment from 10 years ago. I just got the letter today.  If i dont pay in 30 days they garnish my wages.  They said its from a debt from 2015.  I never got a summons or anything.  Just this dumb letter from PR.

" if no action is taken in 30 days of the date of the letter, we have instructed our local counsel to initiate wage garbishment and proceedings and colllect on said judgement. This means that PR will go to court and ask that the employer be ordered to withhold money from earnings and pay PR to satisfy debt."

I know debt never goes away but its from 10 years ago maybe even longer.  Any advice? Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Portfolio Recovery trying to sue me

The first thing you should do is verify whether there is a valid judgement against you, or not. 

They just got in major trouble with the CFPB  last year.

If a judgement is valid, it can be renewed before SOL on it expires, (in AZ, that's 10 years) essentially following you around for the rest of your life until it's satisfied. 

Message 2 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MITZIE wrote:

Hello Im from AZ, I need help with this if possible

I suddenly received a letter in the mail from PR a jugment from court demanding a payment from 10 years ago. I just got the letter today.  If i dont pay in 30 days they garnish my wages.  They said its from a debt from 2015.  I never got a summons or anything.  Just this dumb letter from PR.

" if no action is taken in 30 days of the date of the letter, we have instructed our local counsel to initiate wage garbishment and proceedings and colllect on said judgement. This means that PR will go to court and ask that the employer be ordered to withhold money from earnings and pay PR to satisfy debt."

I know debt never goes away but its from 10 years ago maybe even longer.  Any advice? Thank you Smiley Happy

Welcome to the forum.

You should consult with a lawyer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

And go on your county's public records website and see when it was listed or even if it is listed.

Message 4 of 16
MITZIE
Visitor

hey ty for the advice. I went to the aqua fria court to find the case and its not listed anywhere. I looked up the case number. so **bleep** there really making a case up? 

@FireMedic1 wrote:

And go on your county's public records website and see when it was listed or even if it is listed.

Message 5 of 16
MITZIE
Visitor

thank you i did look up the case number in the court , aqua fria court where they said they filed and public case records. the case is not listed anywhere it doesnt exist. so why the f scare me like that! 😭 **bleep** liars. im glad its not valid but i was worried all night.

Message 6 of 16
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

@MITZIE if you looked at the link I posted upthread, they were doing all sorts of things that got them a hefty $24 million fine... That's why I suggested to verify that the judgement was valid... it would appear as though it was a scare tactic hoping you'd pay them.

Message 7 of 16
MITZIE
Visitor

yes i hit the link you sent and read through it. thanks for the help 🙂  between the link and looking up the case i can sleep better now 😴 😅

Message 8 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MITZIE 

Thats cool. I had a feeling. Your not the first thats come on here with a similar situation with the threats. Plus its more than 7 yrs old. Way past placing it on your reports and you've past the statue of limitations to be sued also.  Its toilet paper. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
MITZIE
Visitor

ty i know its such a relief 😌 

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@MITZIE 

Thats cool. I had a feeling. Your not the first thats come on here with a similar situation with the threats. Plus its more than 7 yrs old. Way past placing it on your reports and you've past the statue of limitations to be sued also.  Its toilet paper. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.