Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive changes at Equifax????

tag
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Positive changes at Equifax????

Hey there folks.

Don't know if this is already common knowledge but Equifax has now added the 2-step authentication that allows the automated service to send you a one-time passcode in order to verify your identity. This, in my opinion, is a major improvement as the main challenge with Equifax was their penchant for requesting paper documents for identity verification, almost every single time you call them.

Twice in the last 3 days, we have had reasons to call them; once to remove a freeze from DW's report. The process was surprisingly easy. A bit too easy I doubted she got the right number. Once the verification was done by the automated help, a US-based representative attended to her and didn't even go through their usual 3 question verification process. Low and behold within 2 minutes the freeze was gone. No further actions required.

I just got off the phone with them now, to dispute 2 accounts and my experience was exactly the same. Took all of 10 minutes to get my dispute filed and confirmation number received.

Don't know if these changes, including the US-based reps, are permanent or just due to the COVID situation but I sure hope they are.

Just wanted to report in case others have issues with Equifax and have been dreading calling them. Now is a good time to put that call through.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Positive changes at Equifax????

What number did you call?

Message 2 of 9
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

1-800 685-1111

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you just freeze and unfreeze Equifax yourself on the website and avoid all that hassle? It's incredibly easy. Or you can use the app to lock it and unlock it in an instant (although that's just a lock, not a freeze). 

Message 4 of 9
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

For some odd reason. The online platform is always unable to verify me and DW. It directs us to either call or do a mail-in request. They have been the most problematic CRA fo us by a mile. I know many people who share the same sentiment.

Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I never had a problem with verification when I would call Equifax - and I used to have to call them a LOT.

My biggest problem with them is that while their CSRs could easily see and confirm problems they were not empowered to address them, only open up a service request. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

I never had a problem with verification when I would call Equifax - and I used to have to call them a LOT.

My biggest problem with them is that while their CSRs could easily see and confirm problems they were not empowered to address them, only open up a service request. 

+1

Please don't get me started. Even the so-called verification thing, I feel is just plain stupid cause one-time I got so furious after the CSR insisted I send in paper documents that I insisted on talking to a supervisor. Lo and behold, he verified me in 10seconds. That's why I wish they would just do away with their outsourced customer service altogether.

Message 7 of 9
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why don't you just freeze and unfreeze Equifax yourself on the website and avoid all that hassle? It's incredibly easy. Or you can use the app to lock it and unlock it in an instant (although that's just a lock, not a freeze). 

Thanks for this info. Didn't know about their lock&alert. Just got it and locked my report. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. The other cool thing about the lock and alert app is that it will also tell you if your report is frozen. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.