Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive closed accounts and deleted addresses

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Positive closed accounts and deleted addresses

Tldr; will deleting old addresses from credit reports also remove closed positive accounts from report?

Longtime lurker that has finally reached the 700s after 4+ years of hard work, determination, and help from great resources like this forum! Today I decided to have all of my old addresses and phone numbers removed from my TransUnion report BEFORE doing any research. Needless to say, I regret jumping the gun considering all of the conflicting info I'm seeing regarding this. Most info I've found isn't alarming but some info warns that closed positive accounts that still reports with one of my deleted addresses will be removed from my credit report. That would really suck after literally just getting to over 700 score within the last month. Any truth to the claim that deleting old addresses will also remove closed positive accounts from report?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Positive closed accounts and deleted addresses

No, removing old or inaccurate address data from your CRs does not delete your account or tradeline information.  I can't think of any instance in which such would even occur.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I agree and thanks for the input. It seemed wrong when I first saw it mentioned but after also seeing some folks suggest disputing collections using wrong address as dispute proof made me a little nervous. Feeling less concerned now though but it seems I maybe should have left my previous address or two on their in case a creditor needs it for verification reasons. Oh well, I'll be sure to do my research before making changes in the future (which I usually do, this time being the exception).
Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

No, removing old or inaccurate address data from your CRs does not delete your account or tradeline information.  I can't think of any instance in which such would even occur.

So @FinStar, a related question about old addresses being deleted. A good example happened just this morning when I applied for DCU membership. Two extremely old addresses (I’m talking eons ago) were in 2 of the questions about what addresses were associated with me. So if old addresses are removed, would it create an identification verification problem. 

Also, on another note, an employer I worked for in 1995 was one of the questions too. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditInspired wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

So @FinStar, a related question about old addresses being deleted. A good example happened just this morning when I applied for DCU membership. Two extremely old addresses (I’m talking eons ago) were in 2 of the questions about what addresses were associated with me. So if old addresses are removed, would it create an identification verification problem. 

Also, on another note, an employer I worked for in 1995 was one of the questions too. 

It's a good question for sure.  I've never deleted any previous addresses since it's not so much the primary CRAs that use this information for ID purposes, but also the FIs who rely on some of this data (or public records) in addition to other sources like Innovis, LexisNexis, ChexSystems, etc.  So, it really depends on what sources and/or data the FI is relying upon.

For individuals that have had the same address for a very long time I'm sure it presents no issue, but for others who have multiple residences, alternate addresses, or relocated quite a bit can become a bit more complex.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.