cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible incorrect information that isn't showing on my report copy?

tag
bengalih

Possible incorrect information that isn't showing on my report copy?

So this may indeed not be a credit report question - but this is the first place I think I need to look.  Hopefully someone here can offer guidance.

Situation:

I got my 3 reports in 2010.  There was an incorrect address listed on TU and EQ - one that I never lived at or had any relation too, but in my current state:

2010 Transunion - Current Address wrong - 2 past addresses
2010 Equifax - 5 past Address - including wrong one
2010 Experian - 9 past Addresses (3 duplicates) - no wrong

I'm 90% sure that I submitted information to contest the reports and have that data removed back in 2010  That suspicion is backed up by the fact that my current reports, from the end of 2012, don't list that address:

2012 Transunion - Only one previous addresses - no wrong
2012 Equifax - Only 2 previous addresses - no wrong
2012 Experian - Only 2 previous addresses - no wrong

So, the first thing that I think is strange is that both the EQ and EX reports have considerably less addresses listed on them then just 2 years ago.  Do past addresses drop off file?

The more important thing is this.  I had a background check run for work when I started a new job last year.  They just sent that over to a customer and I requested if HR could send me a copy as I would be intereted to see it.  It shows the wrong address I had gotten removed back in 2010.

My asusmption is that they are getting this info from my credit reports - but my credit reports don't seem to show the wrong address anymore.

Is it possible that the bureaus still have my wrong address on file and aren't including it in the reports I am getting?

If not, does anyone else have any idea where a company that gets these checks might get this address for me?  The only place I have ever seen it before was on my 2010 credit reports.

thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Possible incorrect information that isn't showing on my report copy?

The only thing I can think of is when an employeer pulls your credit, if you make $75,000 or more, they can ask for your entire credit file.  This could contain old addresses.

Message 2 of 11
bengalih

Well this wasn't an employer pulling my credit directly - in fact it wasn't a credit check, but rather a full background check.

They used a 3rd party company to do this.

I do fall above the $75K limit that you state - but when you say "entire credit file" - if infact the background check company could somehow request that... how do I access it and dispute this incorrect information?

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You would have to contact each CRA and tell them you want your full disclosure file that includes past addresses, etc.

Message 4 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I use a background check company called Hireright and I know they pull from more sources than just the 3 CRAs. 

The past addresses don't hurt any. Anytime there's an app for credit the creditor will update your address with that address. So, if you had any creditors that used an older address then it'll show in your CR. It doesn't impact your credit. IMO,it isn't worth the time to get removed. I have probably a dozen different addresses showing. One wasn't even remotely close, but I'm certain it wasn't due to ID theft.

Message 5 of 11
bengalih

@guiness56 wrote:

You would have to contact each CRA and tell them you want your full disclosure file that includes past addresses, etc.

Will those reports cost me to get?

Message 6 of 11
bengalih

@llecs wrote:

OP, I use a background check company called Hireright and I know they pull from more sources than just the 3 CRAs. 

The past addresses don't hurt any. Anytime there's an app for credit the creditor will update your address with that address. So, if you had any creditors that used an older address then it'll show in your CR. It doesn't impact your credit. IMO,it isn't worth the time to get removed. I have probably a dozen different addresses showing. One wasn't even remotely close, but I'm certain it wasn't due to ID theft.

Yeah - I know that they might be pulling from something other than the CRAs...however the address was the same the CRAs previouly displayed.  They don't hurt credit, but they can be problematic when you are asked to confirm random things off your reports.

Do you know where else these background companies would be pulling from other than the CRAs to get info like that?

Would they likely tell me their sources if I contacted them?

Message 7 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bengalih wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Will those reports cost me to get?

I think it's $11.00

Message 8 of 11
bengalih

guiness56 wrote:

Poked around a little and find no information about how to request a full disclosure. From what I have found these are usually only available to financial institutions, etc.
Do I just call them and say I want a full disclosure report? Have you done this before? I ask because it just doesn't seem documented anywhere.
thanks

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can get yours too.  Google FCRA 609. Disclosures to consumers [15 U.S.C. § 1681g

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.