cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get new HP while all credit reports frozen?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible to get new HP while all credit reports frozen?

One caveat. You CAN get new accounts while your reports are frozen. You just can’t get any HPs.
Message 11 of 16
yourficouser
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
One caveat. You CAN get new accounts while your reports are frozen. You just can’t get any HPs.

Got it. I see. So that would be like getting a new American Express card when you have an existing one, when they usually do an SP anyway?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bingo. Or if you have a card issuer like BBT kicking out cards with an SP because they’re trying to increase their portfolio premerger.
Message 13 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont really see that as a caveat because it requires pre-existing relationship with a lender 

Unless you're talking about Open Sky, no one will issue a card if they cannot SP or HP. 

Freeze does not stop existing lender from performing a SP, hence new account would be based on data from the pull and internal history with that lender. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a BB&T account added without a HP and I had no existing relationship. All three bureaus were frozen and I confirmed it would be an SP before I walked in the door.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freeze does not stop an SP from a lender with whom you have no prior relationship.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.