Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about credit report...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about credit report...

Hi I'm new to myFICO and I just applied for a social security card yesterday. I went to SSA to check my SSN today and they told me my number. When i was back to home and tried to set uo an account on ssa.gov, something very strange happened.

After entering my ssn and other personal information on ssa.gov, the website asked me to verify my identity. However, the questions didn't match my credit history. I did open my BOA123 credit card in July 2019 and my AMEX in September 2019, and both cards were opened without ssn. But the website asked me information about a mortgage loan in 2016. The fact is i moved to US in 2019 and i never have a personal loan. 

What's more intresting is I pulled my credit report in October 2019 from Experian and TransUnion, neither of them showed that i have mortgage loan or car loan and my first account reported to credit bureu is the BOA123.

Do you guys know what the heck is going on for my social account and credit history?

6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about credit report...

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the forums.

I have moved your thread to the General Credit Topics subforum for better exposure to your question.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The questions you're asked for verification will always include some false ones - if you confirmed having a mortgage in 2016 they'd know it wasn't actually you

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a relatively common name?  The fact that you were asked a question about a 2016 mortgage does not mean that a loan was opened in your name.  The question is probably designed to differentiate you  and someone else with a relatively similar name.  But if you're concerned you can go online to annualcreditreport.com and request a hard copy of your credit reports so you can examine them to ensure there are no loans in your name.

P.S.  I have a common name and I'm frequently asked verification questions that don't pertain to me so I simply answer no and move on.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

But the strange thing is that all questions to verify my identity were about the unkonwn mortgage... After i chose "None of Above" answer, my SSA account was suspended for 24 hours...

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did order my credit report from TU and EX, and no mortgage showed on my report... That's what puzzled me...

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get it from the website I mentioned earlier; its the only one authorized by the US government to issue credit reports.  Go through your reports very carefully to see if there are any anomalies.  All else fails, calls SSA customer service for assistance in setting up your account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.