Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on a non-existed debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on a non-existed debt

I have a problem recently. Like two month ago, I start to receive the phone call from a company named "ProCollect", and told me I own money to an apartment named "Connection Lawrence." However, I never lived there before. 

First of all, I thought that was a scam for cheating money. So, I just hang off the phone, until I got the phone call from another apartment management, and they told me they will not lease an apartment to me since I have a bad history because of the debt.

Then I contacted the "Connection Lawrence" and "ProCollect", and they just trying to pass the buck to each other, and did not help me solve the problem. Until now, my credit score is already 600+ (dropped from 730+), and the management does not lease me an apartment.

I already reach the "ProCollect", and they said they will submit a request to remove the history, but need about 90 days to do an investigation. I already found that person on their account has a name just a letter different from me, and we both Chinese. He probably does not have an SSN, so the "ProCollect" just set the debt on my head.

I really do not know what should I do in this case, and how can I protect my history and credit score from this kind of person/company. 

Please help me in this case, and to see what I can do to make myself clean on debt.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question on a non-existed debt

What is your state of residence?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kansas, but I am a international student here
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I asked because some states have enhanced debt collection practices statutes that require certain disclosures and/or credit report deletion.

Unfortunately, Kansas is not one of those states.

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

90 days is a long time. I wonder if you can't dispute it with the bureaus also with the evidence you have? That would at least cut the time down to maybe a month.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help. I know 90 days is a long time. But I do not know what kind of evidence I should submit? Should they show proof that I own others money? How can I get proof that I do not own others money?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.