Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Transunion Credit Inquiries

tag
coolandcalm
Contributor

Removing Transunion Credit Inquiries

I have some inquiries that I'm not familiar with on my Transunion. Anyone have any knowledge on how to dispute them.. I cant see a way to do it online.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Removing Transunion Credit Inquiries

HP's are the hardest thing to get removed. Take one you dont notice and call them and ask why its on your report.

Message 2 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Find out what they are and why they are there before you try to dispute them with Transunion.  You may need to directly contact whomever it was that pulled your report to learn exactly why they did so.

Once you find out that information we can help you with specifics regarding best next steps.  The path you would take is different if there was fraud vs. a legitimate error.  TL;DR if there was fraud you'll be next filing police reports then disputing inquiries but if done in error you'll be first asking for the inquiries to be withdrawn and if they don't do so within a reasonable time frame you'll be filing a complaint with the appropriate government agency.

While you're at it get a (free) copy of your Lexis Nexis Consumer Report online and check it for errors.

It can take a couple of months to get this all straightened out.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

HP's are the hardest thing to get removed. Take one you dont notice and call them and ask why its on your report.

Hard pulls done without permissible purpose aren't that hard to get removed if you play by the rules, do your due diligence, and follow the right steps in the right order. BTDT more than once.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 20
northway
Regular Contributor

I have a number of fraudulent inquiries on my TU report. I sent a police report and FTC report along with the letter. TU confirmed receipt and basically told me to get ****ed, and that they're denying it under 605B(c). They said they'll only send a letter out to the lender to validate if they're willing to remove, which is complete nonsense and against 605B rules.

I'll get the CFPB and a lawyer on them if I have to.

Personal Cards:
Message 5 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@northway wrote:

I have a number of fraudulent inquiries on my TU report. I sent a police report and FTC report along with the letter. TU confirmed receipt and basically told me to get ****ed, and that they're denying it under 605B(c). They said they'll only send a letter out to the lender to validate if they're willing to remove, which is complete nonsense and against 605B rules.

I'll get the CFPB and a lawyer on them if I have to.

You don't need to wait, you're at the point where you can file a legitimate CFPB complaint immediately.

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 6 of 20
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Side note @coolandcalm this is why you should ALWAYS keep your reports frozen. All the time.  Need to app for something?  Just temporarily unfreeze (thaw) it and boom.  It's so easy to do honestly. 

Message 7 of 20
butterpecan
Frequent Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Side note @coolandcalm this is why you should ALWAYS keep your reports frozen. All the time.  Need to app for something?  Just temporarily unfreeze (thaw) it and boom.  It's so easy to do honestly. 

@805orbust Can I ask what is the difference between freezing them and locking them? I apologize if it seems like you would need to explain it to a 5 year old but whenever I Google it I only get an explanation on how to do it and not the real difference between the two.

Message 8 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@butterpecan wrote:

@805orbust wrote:

@805orbust Can I ask what is the difference between freezing them and locking them? I apologize if it seems like you would need to explain it to a 5 year old but whenever I Google it I only get an explanation on how to do it and not the real difference between the two.

The most important difference is that a lock is in essense a private agreement between you and the CRA whereas a freeze is a regulatory construct imposed and enforced by laws so if a CRA screws up and inappropriately releases a frozen credit report they're more directly accountable to the government for it and you have more legal protections than with a locked file.   Insofar as usage it's easier and generally faster to unlock and relock a credit file than it is to thaw and then refreeze a credit file.

A side effect of the greater effort and time needed to freeze/thaw/freeze a file vs lock/unlock/relock is that freezing does tend to help curtail impulsive applications since you can expect to have to wait a bit for thaw requests to be executed.

There are a few other differences but those are 2 of the most important onces. 

(3/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 9 of 20
butterpecan
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion Wow, thank you for taking time for this detailed explanation. Google has me some sorts of confused and so I couldn't decide which to do. Now however I will freeze mine. The freeze sounds to add an extra discipline that helps ward off spontaneous apping. Great help here thanks so much. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.