Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a AU from Cap One Venture

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a AU from Cap One Venture

If I choose to remove someone (authorized user) from my Cap One Venture card, does it disappear from their credit report entirely?

I've read different opinions on this.  It appears that some people think it will stay on your report for 10 years (almost the same as closing an account you own would) or it would disappear entirely once the credit reporting agency refreshes their system in 30 days.

Any concrete opinion?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removing a AU from Cap One Venture

I was an AU on a CapOne card and even though I was removed it stayed on my report up until I disputed the account with the bureaus as "not my account" and at that point they were removed.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If I choose to remove someone (authorized user) from my Cap One Venture card, does it disappear from their credit report entirely?

I've read different opinions on this.  It appears that some people think it will stay on your report for 10 years (almost the same as closing an account you own would) or it would disappear entirely once the credit reporting agency refreshes their system in 30 days.

Any concrete opinion?

Not concrete, but to be 100% sure you should check your AU's credit report. For me, it shows "account closed" but is still on the report. You have to then dispute it with the CRA (say not your account). 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure a vendor can STOP reporting NEW data on a report but whatever has been reported prior...
Will stay on and it can be up to 10 years, yes.

This is why the schmucks that 'sale' the credit piggyback stuff online and on Craigslist sale a 2/3 month and on to the next because typically that AU account even without updating will last quite sometime ( perhaps not the entire 10 but it could be years)

CRAs are about keeping data ON reports...
The more data they have the better from their POV, so generally unless it's disputed off, there isn't even big deal for them to just leave the file as is

It'll show last payment as of but the model many times just keeps rolling the age....

It won't report as account closed because the account wasn't closed, the reporting just stopped updating that's a huge difference.

I had a ghost AU account show up on my file and because it gave me history and CL utilization juice I said nothing, then like a year and a half later, it fell off
I couldn't complain it helped me even though it looked abandoned and hadn't reported for like 4 years but it helped me build for a year and I'd like to have it back,but it's not like I can ask😃

Anyway you control whether or not to continue to have Cap-1 update the reports to the CRA by removing them from your Cap-1 account but that's where your control ends....
The CRA can and will continue to report as they please unless the AU disputes the account as not Thiers, which of course they'll successfully get the items removed....only sensible if the account has a baddie or high debt load , otherwise no reason to dispute IMO
Best of Luck
Message 4 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any concrete opinion? 

If you find that opinions vary then how does collecting more opinions help?  You're just going to get more varying opinions.

It's not just opinions.  Experiences vary.  The TL may be removed or it may not.  If not and removal is desired the AU can dispute.

Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I can't say what your exact experience will be, but I can tell you what I've experienced (which happens to match a couple of family members, and a few people on here). 

In each of our cases, once the AU relationship was ended the account continued to report on the AU's credit reports.  It took a dispute with the CBs to make it stop reporting.  I'll also mention FWIW that in each case the dispute was settled relatively fast; I've always assumed this was because it was so 'cut-and-dry' (i.e. since it was already reporting as an AU, it really wasn't a stretch to say that it didn't belong).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.