cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing data off of a credit report (American Express authorized user)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing data off of a credit report (American Express authorized user)

Hi guys!  

My wife was an authorized user on one of my American Express credit cards. Long story short, because of issues with a 4506-T American Express closed out my account. My credit report says "Account closed at credit grantor’s request". 

The issue is that it also says the exact same thing on my wife's credit report. It shows that the card was opened on Mar 2020 and closed Oct 27 2021 with the dreaded "Account closed at credit grantor’s request". 

I was under the impression that once an authorized user is removed from a primary account holders card all data would fall off -- as if the auth user never even had the card to begin with. 

How can I go about removing data/history? I chatted with an Amex rep and they said to wait for it to be updated and it will fall off, but I find that hard to believe as it's already closed and reported. 

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Removing data off of a credit report (American Express authorized user)

Well first of all, the "Closed by credit grantor" really doesn't mean anything. I don't understand why so many people dread it around here. It makes no difference scoring wise. And IF by chance a UW asks about it upon manual review, it can easily be explained.

Anyway, your wife can simply dispute the account herself with the bureaus as "not my account/not financially responsible" and it should get deleted promptly.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know! I always felt like underwriters had an issue with it. But yes, there is zero impact to the score. I'm just trying to make sure her score/profile has zero baddies/remarks, etc. 

Good point on disputing it as well. I've read that Amex are the ones that are tricky to deal with. 

Message 3 of 9
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Well first of all, the "Closed by credit grantor" really doesn't mean anything. I don't understand why so many people dread it around here. It makes no difference scoring wise.

Speaking just for myself, I think it's a point of pride. Having your credit reports say 'closed by credit grantor' just smacks of something bad, like you were a bad customer, didn't pay on time, handled the account poorly, etc., and THEY chose to close your account. Even knowing that it has no effect whatsoever on my scores, I still don't like seeing it!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 9
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read that Amex are the ones that are tricky to deal with. 

+1. I'm curious if you run into any problems with any of the CRAs and/or Amex saying no to deletion. 

Message 5 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The article below gives a little more information.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/account-closed-credit-grantors-request-mean-credit-repor...

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Definetly helps. I just feel bad for potentially damaging my wife's credit...

Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Well first of all, the "Closed by credit grantor" really doesn't mean anything. I don't understand why so many people dread it around here. It makes no difference scoring wise.

Speaking just for myself, I think it's a point of pride. Having your credit reports say 'closed by credit grantor' just smacks of something bad, like you were a bad customer, didn't pay on time, handled the account poorly, etc., and THEY chose to close your account. Even knowing that it has no effect whatsoever on my scores, I still don't like seeing it!

But what if it wasn't closed for a negative reason at all? A perfectly legitimate example is if a creditor closes a TL because of inactivity. You didn't do anything "wrong" persay, but the issuer is merely doing some housekeeping and wishes to free up that unused credit for someone else who *will* put it to use (and make them money, obviously). In that instance, it'll still be closed by the issuer, and will still have that "Closed by credit grantor" statement, but it was closed for perfectly innocent reasons. 

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! Definetly helps. I just feel bad for potentially damaging my wife's credit...

Removing an AU wouldn't necessarily damage their credit. It may or may not slightly impact score, depending on how much the AU account was helping in the first place, if at all.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.