Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching Cards

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Researching Cards

What other websites/resources do you use to research credit cards? I've learned about a number of cards that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise because of this site, and I'm wondering what other sites folks here follow/read/rely on when choosing new cards.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Researching Cards

doctor of credit

us credit card guide

the point calculator

award wallet blog

Message 2 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

What other websites/resources do you use to research credit cards? I've learned about a number of cards that I wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise because of this site, and I'm wondering what other sites folks here follow/read/rely on when choosing new cards.

I have found that researching credit cards on the internet is a bit misleading, because these lists and discussions always omit credit union cards -- which are generally the best cards out there IMHO.

For me the sole exceptions are the travel cards. When you're researching travel cards, it seems to me that million mile secrets and the points guy are very helpful in figuring out what will give you the most bang for your buck.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get my info from here, doctor of credit, and searching Google for cards that I find here and there. Mostly I get my info from this forum but occasionally someone will bring up a card that I don't know anything about and I'll head to Google. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/ -- this is a long list of the most attractive cards on the market and it's updated regularly

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/67u9q0/guide_antichurning_rules/  -- this will help you avoid denials based on the rules different issuers have regarding timing apps

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v12.html -- this is a nice chart of how to max out rewards 

Message 5 of 14
vic6string
Regular Contributor

You can ocassionally find some good infor on reddit too (there are various reddits.... the two I would start with are credits cards and churning). There's also a ton of decent videos out there on youtube. A couple of my favorite credit card youtubers are Ask Sebby and the Credit Shifu. There's also a tons of general finance youtubers that have tons of stuff on credit cards like Graham Stevens...and in the very near future I'll be putting up a channel myself. The good thing with the youtubers is you can just listen to them while you are driving so it gives you useful info in what would otherwise be time wasted listening to music or flicking the bird at drivers ticking you off.

Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@vic6string wrote:

You can ocassionally find some good infor on reddit too (there are various reddits.... the two I would start with are credits cards and churning). There's also a ton of decent videos out there on youtube. A couple of my favorite credit card youtubers are Ask Sebby and the Credit Shifu. There's also a tons of general finance youtubers that have tons of stuff on credit cards like Graham Stevens...and in the very near future I'll be putting up a channel myself. The good thing with the youtubers is you can just listen to them while you are driving so it gives you useful info in what would otherwise be time wasted listening to music or flicking the bird at drivers ticking you off.

As always though, quality varies, in particular there have been times where Ask Sebby mistakes have been called out here.

In addition to those mentioned, Flyertalk is a great source for travel related credit questions (including how to choose best card for trips to X, and how to redeem on which partner) plus forums on, um, "advanced" topics not covered on MyFico

Message 7 of 14
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I personally check what cards people are getting approved for and what is listed in the signatures. I have found a lot of cards that way that I wanted to apply for. Now that I have a lot of those cards there are not as many that I want so it is easier to find cards that are new. Just look for the fresh card design. The other source I use is the lenders website. Once I find the card I am looking for I can read the info about it from the source. That way I always have the most up to date understanding of the card. Sometimes I will intentionally go to some lenders I have an eye on just to browse product. I have occasionally found a product I wanted just by browsing my existing lenders website and you know they appreciate it when you apply for it.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

I personally check what cards people are getting approved for and what is listed in the signatures. I have found a lot of cards that way that I wanted to apply for. Now that I have a lot of those cards there are not as many that I want so it is easier to find cards that are new. 

Active:
Bank of America (Bankamericard M, Better Balance Rewards M, Cash Rewards VS),

Blispay V,

Capital One Quicksilver VSC,

Chase(AARP VSC, Amazon Prime VS, Freedom VSC),

Citi Dividend M,

Citizens GreenSense M,

Discover It,

FNBO Ducks Unlimited VS,

FedEx Employee Credit Association V,

Synchrony Bank(PayPal Credit, PayPal 2% Cashback M, Walmart M),

US Bank Cash+ VS

Wishlist: Barclaycard Uber, Bellco Colorado Rewards, EBates, Marvel, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, UMB Bank Simply Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards, Wells Fargo Propel

Yeah, you sure have been busy.....   I will say you should focus more on the big banks and small banks over dealing w/ Synch in the long run as you're prone to hit the 100K limit with them and then get shutdown for too much exposure and not enough use. (e-bates/Marvel)

UMB I found interesting but, you have to live in their service area to get one or through a legacy affiliate program that's local.

Uber was an easy get w/ a TU pull

The CU's might throw a flag on the play for too much available credit or PF's famous "pyramiding of debt" 

Propel shouldn't be too hard to snag even w/o an existing relationship

Message 9 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get my info from here, doctor of credit, and searching Google for cards that I find here and there. Mostly I get my info from this forum but occasionally someone will bring up a card that I don't know anything about and I'll head to Google. 

I was wondering how you had found out about "Payboo" Smiley Wink

at first I thought it was a Service to Pay;

boo (bo͞o)

a. A boyfriend or girlfriend.
b. A spouse.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.