Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSN found on dark web - Discover

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: SSN found on dark web - Discover

@Red1Blue wrote:

I got an alert from Discover Score card that my SS No is found on the dark web. What course of action I should take. 

I'd freeze all my reports and put a fraud alert on them. You may want to pull your reports and freeze them from secondary reporting agencies, like LexisNexis and Sage Stream. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I also received an email from Discover yesterday saying my SSN was on the dark web. Thank you to everyone for all of the help. When you says file a report with the FTC is it a Fraud Report or a ID Theft Report?

I placed a Fraud Alert on all of my credit reports.  
I checked all of my credit reports and so far everything is okay. 
I froze all of my credit reports (will be freezing LexusNexus and ChexSystems today). 
Signed up for a SSA Account. 
Reregistered my IRS account and requested/received an IP Pin. 

Will be calling the DMV and SS fraud department on Monday.

Is there anything else that I should do? I wanted to file a report to the FTC but wasn't sure what report to file.  

Thank you everyone again for all of the help through this. 

Message 12 of 20
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

I also received an email from Discover yesterday saying my SSN was on the dark web. Thank you to everyone for all of the help. When you says file a report with the FTC is it a Fraud Report or a ID Theft Report?

I froze all of my credit reports (will be freezing LexusNexus and ChexSystems today). 

Is there anything else that I should do? I wanted to file a report to the FTC but wasn't sure what report to file.  

Slide over on the bench and make room for me.  Got the same alert and did everything as you did.  Worse:  This is REAL identity theft for me not just an alert this time. Back in January (at the time Discover says they found my SS# on the web) I got an alert from Discover that a charge was being put through for $1200 on a website and did I make it?  Ummmm NO!  I called their fraud department, they denied the charge and closed that account and issued a new card.  Did all the fraud stuff but then the thief tried to move all my loyalty points out of my Marriott Bonvoy account and Marriott got suspicious and blocked the move and notified me of potential fraud and they had opened a case.  UGH.  Next round of whack-a-thief.  Latest update is I got notified by MyFICO that the thief is in Hanover VA (call to website where $1200 charge was attempted verified they intended to ship the goods to Hanover VA and used my name.  They cancelled the transaction when Discover denied the charge and tagged it as CC fraud.  Attempts to call that "consumer" yielded no response for a week), has made and identity using my SS#, different DOB, and different phone.  So far no new accounts and bureaus are frozen with fraud alerts.  Police and FACTA reports filed but I am 18 shades of PISSED OFF.  Get a job scammers.  Stealing from me will NOT be profitable.

Stay vigilant because this may not be the end of it for you.

Message 13 of 20
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@Cowboys4Life @Anonymous 

I need a seat on that bench too. I was notified by Citibank about a fraudlent charge on Christmas Day.  One for 1.60, limousine service in the UK, 574 and change from Straight Talk, in Florida.  Citi blocked both charges, closed and reissued me a new Credit Card Number.  Fast forward to Feb 9th, I saw two alerts from MyFico, one with someone elses name, social security number but my accurate cell phone number, the other alert had all my information on it.  Was very old, I was living in a place I haven't been since 2010 but had an accurate old landline number.  They didn't get my accurate drivers license, MA issued new numbers years ago but it was my social security number they have. 

The second report from MyFico, showed some incomplete name and another social security number but listed with my current cell phone number.  I am going to have to get ahold of someone at MyFico, and see what I have to do about that one. 

As far as the FTC goes, just go to their page and they have a list of things to choose from.  I reported identity theft because they placed fraudulent transactions on my report, which Citibank declined. 

Fingers crossed, that's all that happens but Cowboy, that's an awful thing you have to deal with. That's a very bold move trying to move your Ioyalty points after the fraud alert had been placed. 

I spoke to Social Security, already had an SSA.gov account and they placed a lock on it.  I wanted an extra layer of security and tried adding a credit card but the fraud alert had already been placed and even the Social Security rep couldn't access my account. Level of comfort felt there.  I already had a Checksystems lock, because of the Equifax breach in 2017, but I didn't even think of Lexus Nexus.   I'll be doing that after I send this reply. Where can I file a FACTA report? My next stop will be to the police station, I am overwhelmed by all of this, taking this one day at a time.

Good luck to all of us! 

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Current Mortgage Scores 5/05/23

Message 14 of 20
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@SleeplessinMA wrote:

@Cowboys4Life @Anonymous 

I need a seat on that bench too. I was notified by Citibank about a fraudlent charge on Christmas Day.  One for 1.60, limousine service in the UK, 574 and change from Straight Talk, in Florida.  Citi blocked both charges, closed and reissued me a new Credit Card Number.  Fast forward to Feb 9th, I saw two alerts from MyFico, one with someone elses name, social security number but my accurate cell phone number, the other alert had all my information on it.  Was very old, I was living in a place I haven't been since 2010 but had an accurate old landline number.  They didn't get my accurate drivers license, MA issued new numbers years ago but it was my social security number they have. 

The second report from MyFico, showed some incomplete name and another social security number but listed with my current cell phone number.  I am going to have to get ahold of someone at MyFico, and see what I have to do about that one. 

As far as the FTC goes, just go to their page and they have a list of things to choose from.  I reported identity theft because they placed fraudulent transactions on my report, which Citibank declined. 

Fingers crossed, that's all that happens but Cowboy, that's an awful thing you have to deal with. That's a very bold move trying to move your Ioyalty points after the fraud alert had been placed. 

I spoke to Social Security, already had an SSA.gov account and they placed a lock on it.  I wanted an extra layer of security and tried adding a credit card but the fraud alert had already been placed and even the Social Security rep couldn't access my account. Level of comfort felt there.  I already had a Checksystems lock, because of the Equifax breach in 2017, but I didn't even think of Lexus Nexus.   I'll be doing that after I send this reply. Where can I file a FACTA report? My next stop will be to the police station, I am overwhelmed by all of this, taking this one day at a time.

Good luck to all of us! 

About 6 years ago my CITI account was hacked and cloned.  I got an alert to a $1.75 charge at a vending machine in Manhattan.  I clicked NO to the alert and CITI called me within seconds.  While on the phone with the fraud CSR she asked if I was in Manhattan at Marshalls trying to buy over $400 worth of merchandise.  I was furious and told her no.  She blocked the charge and explained they use the card for a small amount to see if the account is active.  If it is they use it for as much money as fast as they can before it gets shut down.  You had the same issue with them.

I will save you time:  MyFICO was no help at all beyond:  put fraud alerts and freeze your bureaus.  I didn't need them to tell me that.  You can file a FACTA identity theft report at the FTC.gov website.

I can't say what caused your issues but I have directly linked mine to the T-Mobile data breach and will be speaking with an attorney first thing on Monday about litigation over this.  These companies with little to no site security need to start being held accountable for this garbage that ruins or damages our lives.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone recently purchased airline ti lets with their discover card? I did and now i have 24 alerts for my SSN on the dark web.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Message 16 of 20
SleeplessinMA
Regular Contributor

@Cowboys4Life 

According to Experian credit reporting, it was from the TMobile breach that occured last year.  

My Wallet

Installment Loans

Current Scores 5/05/23

Current Mortgage Scores 5/05/23

Message 17 of 20
Tiberius800
New Contributor

Personal info on darknet

I got an email from my capital one. They said my personal info was found on the darknet. It shows last four digits of my SSN but all the other info is not mine.  Not my name or address. How should I respond to this? Am I at risk?

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Personal info on darknet

Pretty much EVERY US citizens SSN/D.O.B./former address is on the dark web.  The equifax data breach along with several other major breaches (linkedin, target, etc...) Have leaked all of the private information.  

There is nothing you can do about it, nor should you really be all that alarmed.  Identity theft/fraud on your SSN/Name is a "when" not "if" proposition.  Finance companies, banks, credit bureaus are all aware of this and quick to reverse anything fraud related.  the worst the typically happens is you have to deal with a mess for a future weeks before funds are returned or scores reverted.

Much more damage is a password breach.  likely your passwords were made public during a major breach.  Make sure to have a unique password for every site you log into and setup 2-factor authentication on everything,

Message 19 of 20
Caribsa89
Contributor

Re: Personal info on darknet

So a few weeks before I received the alert from Experian IdentityWorks that my info was on the dark web due to the T-Mobile breach, an unknown address in NY showed up on my credit report via Experian.  It was a funny address with no street number (na , schenectady ny 123450001).  I disputed and had it removed.  I have since frozen my credit reports and Chexsystems.  I don't see any hard inquiry or soft that look suspicious.  I am hoping it was a coincedence.  

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.