cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNCB auto-generated emails. A trial deposit to my Amazon Credit Builder? Hack?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First I really don't know where to post this but...

I got 3 emails from Synchrony bank about a Amazon card, currently I have Amazon Prime Store card but received an email from a trial deposit to "my" "Amazon credit builder account" which I don't have.... Other email of a required action of application with no body message. I verified all the Credit bureaus for an attempt on pulling credit data and no sign of anything.

Is this just marketing? Or do I have to get contact with Synchrony?

Untitled-1.png

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank hacked or Identity theft or just marketing?

Most likely they a bug or they were hacked. I also got that email and a few others in Twitter reporting the same thing.

It seems to be a glitch though according to Twitter replies on my Tweet.
Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 41
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I just received an email with the subject line: "A Trial Deposit Has Been Successfully Made to Your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER"

The text reads "This email was sent to you by Synchrony Bank, the issuer of your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER Account. You may receive account servicing emails even if you have requested not to receive marketing offers by email for your AMAZON CREDITBUILDER Account. Synchrony Bank is located at 170 Election Road, Suite 125, Draper, Utah, 84020, USA.
This is an unmonitored email box. Please do not reply to this email."

- I have an Amazon shopping account, but have no Amazon credit accounts

- I have only 2 Synchrony credit accounts, PayPal MC and Lowes

- The email was sent to an email address I use only for banking & credit accounts

- It's not phising, it tells me not to reply, and the only link in the email is http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft/, warning me how to avoid ID theft

- I googled that Draper Utah address, it is Synchrony Bank

- I use MS Outlook for Windows 10 for email, when you click File, Properties it shows you the full path of the email, it sure seems to be from mail.synchronybank.com

- I keep all 3 credit reports locked. I logged into TU's TrueIdentity to check, still locked and no alerts.

Very strange, and concerning. Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the exact same three emails. I also have a regular amazon card, also wondering if I should contact Synchrony about possible identify theft or if it was just a mistake.  

I checked Twitter and it appears many people are reporting these emails.

Message 4 of 41
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Re: A trial deposit to my Amazon Credit Builder????

I just received the same, despite having closed my amazon store card in 2018. I have two open SyncB accounts, Paypal Credit and Paypal credit card. 

I immediately called synchrony bank and got to the fraud division to report this. As soon as I told the guy he said that email had been sent "in error" to everyone and it was OK to ignore it. 

They need to send an email ASAP explaining this because it really makes you think someone has opened an account fraudulently in our names! Cost me 20-30 mins of time at work checking all my reports and then jumping through all the hoops in the phone system.....  

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 5 of 41
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Same. Got the two identical emails.

(I just made a big purchase, and I thought it was related to that. Good to know it's not just me.)

Message 6 of 41
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: A trial deposit to my Amazon Credit Builder????

@Strogen wrote:

I just received the same, despite having closed my amazon store card in 2018. I have two open SyncB accounts, Paypal Credit and Paypal credit card. 

I immediately called synchrony bank and got to the fraud division to report this. As soon as I told the guy he said that email had been sent "in error" to everyone and it was OK to ignore it. 

They need to send an email ASAP explaining this because it really makes you think someone has opened an account fraudulently in our names! Cost me 20-30 mins of time at work checking all my reports and then jumping through all the hoops in the phone system.....  

Thanks for the info. Yes, I finally found a number for Synchrony Bank and called. Had to give my full social to get a rep who told me the same thing - email sent in error and ignore it. But the rep did find my Amazon store card, closed back in 2014, but probably how I got on error email list. Sheesh, way to to Synchrony - now, to get my blood pressure back down . . .

Message 7 of 41
3bcswins3
New Contributor

I got the same emails and called Synchrony. They said upper management sent them a release saying it was an error and it is currently under investigation. I'm just thankful I didn't get hacked.

Message 8 of 41
chfenton
Established Member

Must have gone out wide to many folks--I got the 3 emails as well and truying regular sync number as well as their fraud number and wont connect as I suspect they are being blasted with calls--which actually makes me feel better-likely an email error.

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here. I've had a regular store card for several years and I received two emails about Trial Deposits and then one that said "Action required on your application".

Now that my minor panic attack is over, it's time to go freeze all my bureaus...

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.