Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped from 743 to 625

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score dropped from 743 to 625

It's a little late, but I decided to check my experian since I disputed a fraudulently opened account about a month ago. When I logged in I noticed my score had dropped 118 points. I worked so hard to get my scores up after this ID theft. I'm going to call the number experian has listed for disputes of ID theft. The account was opened in 2016 but I didn't find out about it until 2018. I disputed through equifax and transunion first and it appears they removed it from my report. After that I had to rebuild with a secured card. After that I created an account with experian and noticed the fraudulent account was still reporting with them. I thought nothing of it for a few months until I finally decided to dispute it through them as well. I figured it worked with the other 2 so why not. Today I go to check my scores and see if there's an update on my dispute. my score dropped from 743 to 625. Credit rating went from very good to fair. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will calling the number provided help at all? I probably won't see any answers until tomorrow if I can get any sleep at all after this. Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Score dropped from 743 to 625

Try calling the creditor and telling them it wasnt you. Let them delete it. Work both sides.

Message 2 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Try calling the creditor and telling them it wasnt you. Let them delete it. Work both sides.

+1

I would file a police report, as the creditor might require that.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 8
calyx
Super Contributor

What they said.

I had fraudulent accounts, I had to call the original creditor.  The reporting agencies are just that - reporting.  They are operating on what they are told by lenders/creditors/FI.

You need to talk to the fraud department with the creditor(s) and work it out, and having that police report (regarding identity theft) will help verify what happened.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account is from 2016 and I discover it in mid 2018. When I found it I was checking credit karma out of curiosity since I had never before owned a credit card. I immediately disputed through them and the accounts were removed from tu and eq and no longer show up on those reports. I found experian in early 2019 and saw the account was still reporting for them. I didn't think too much of it until recently when I decided I should dispute it since it was not mine. The report shows the account was opened in june of 2016 and went delinquent in october of 2016. Whoever it was used $670 of a $500 credit limit. Is it still possible to file a police report after all this time or am I just screwed at this point. Maybe I should have just left it alone. My score was very good at 743. Guess I opened up a real can of worms with this.

Message 5 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@GoldenHaze,

Sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. I've been a victim of identiy theft so sadly I feel your pain. Did the removal of the tradeline off Experian cause the score drop OR is the tradeline still reporting?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some really excellent advice posted here.  I hope it all works out for you.

Message 7 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Some really excellent advice posted here.  I hope it all works out for you.

Keep us posted.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.