Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Freeze

tag
911gt34life
Frequent Contributor

Security Freeze

i am wondering how many you guys don't have security freeze on your report not sure if leave open or close 

>
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Security Freeze

@911gt34life wrote:

i am wondering how many you guys don't have security freeze on your report not sure if leave open or close 

I keep mine frozen and then schedule a temporary thaw whenever I want to apply for something.  I've only needed to do the thaw thing three times now and it has worked perfectly for each application.

With the above said, the "Law of Unintended Consequences" might apply here; if you want lots of unsolicited credit offers in the mail, I've found once my accounts have been frozen, the offers in my mailbox drops to zero.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 16
House1204
Regular Contributor

I had a freeze on my reports for a long time but I have them unfrozen now. I have various credit monitoring services so I am not too worried about fraud happening without me knowing about it.

Message 3 of 16
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

My three  majors are frozen.

Message 4 of 16
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Always frozen for me.  A little bit of peace of mind.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 5 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've been involved in 3-4 massive data breaches so mine are locked. I have free monitoring and repair thanks to the breaches, but I'd rather not deal with it. Especially since the forecast for defaulting isn't very good. Don't need AA from a lender for something I didn't do. Cause in the end, they're not gonna reopen the card even if you prove it wasn't you. 

Message 6 of 16
markbeiser
Established Contributor

I keep all 3 frozen, it makes me have to think about it more if I have the itch to app for something.
Also, the massive reduction in junk mail is nice.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 7 of 16
Bill77
Regular Contributor

All 3 are frozen unless I'm open to targeted deals and getting marketing at that point in time.  Right now I have EX frozen, but the other two are open.  I don't want any new cards that pull from EX but might be tempted otherwise.

Message 8 of 16
BobbyInCO
New Contributor

Frozen for sure. I've had family members apply in my name/ssn and it sucks. Granted, lots of the monitoring will tell you when an account is opened or an inquiry made, but not all of them are real-time, so it can be very hard to unwind a bad actor.

As mentioned by others, with them all frozen you won't get much by way of prequal/pre-app offers. But for me personally that's OK because I have the right accounts now for my personal situation. If I started to stutter on that, I may unfreeze to see what might happen, but if I do need to appy I can always temp unfreeze.

Message 9 of 16
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

Mine aren't frozen anymore. I just keep close tabs on them with the monitoring that's available. My consumer reports are however still frozen

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $38,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000 /

SOCKDRAWERED FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ WELLS FARGO ACTIVE CASH $8200/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.