Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settlement Offer on CC Debt

tag
Neblett
Regular Contributor

Settlement Offer on CC Debt

Just received a call from a CA offering me a settlement offer on a closed/charged off CC. When I asked for a letter outlining the terms of the settlement in writing so that I could consider it, she said she could not provide me with anything in writing unless I agreed to the terms of the settlement in advance and gave her a date by which the account would be paid off.

Is this legal? And is it inappropriate for me to request this document in writing so that I can consider the settlement offer PRIOR to committing to it?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Settlement Offer on CC Debt

i would tell her to go peck $hit with the chickens...
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not inappropriate to ask... I've got the reposnse in the past but pressed. I agreed on the phone to settle on an agreed upon date but made clear that I would not be in agreement if the TL wasn't going to be removed.

If it's not reporting get it taken care of before it does.

Rob
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

dog wrote:
i would tell her to go peck $hit with the chickens...

My response would have been something similar.

But to answer your question, yes, of course you have every right to see what you're agreeing to in writing.  What if the agreement says if your payment isn't cleared they'll ship you to Oman to work off your debt by herding sheep.

Not trying to be smart, I'm just saying.

Don't agree to anything you cannot read.

Message 4 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Yes you have every right to have it in writing.   They just don't don't want to do the paperwork and they also feel that it is a delay tatic, so they want to get anything they can from you over the phone.   You don't have to fall for that.   They like to intimidate because they take the chance that most people don't know their rights and such.    

Do not agree to any settlement unless it's in writing.   You have every right to push forward with that.
Message 5 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

You can even take it one step further and have them email you the settlement offer in pdf form if it's trust factor on their part.

I would say if you don't want to mail it email me it and we can get this going.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.