cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Close Secured for new Unsecured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Close Secured for new Unsecured?

I have a secured visa ($1500) with my credit union which happens to be my oldest account (2 years) I asked to see if it could be "unsecured" and they said I would have to apply and that they do not do PC (product change?) so it would be a new account with no history and I cannot keep both accounts. I was approved for an unsecured card with a $2000 limit.
So I would start with a new account and have $1500 to save from the old account.
Is it worth risking the history? how badly would my score be affected? (theoretically)

I have a total of 14 CC with 14k limits total and the next oldest account is 1yr 10 mths
I plan to buy a house in 6 to 12 mths so I dont want my score to go too low.

do not plan to have anymore inquiries or pulls until I buy a house

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Close Secured for new Unsecured?

That secured card will stay on your report for 10 years so you won't take a hit.  In 10 years when it falls off, your AAOA will be so good it won't affect you to any degree.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you, I was not aware of how aaoa worked I will take the offer for the new card.. sweet!!

Message 3 of 6
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Glad to help.  There is a wealth of good information on this board.  I am learning new things every day.

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Grafton88 wrote:

Glad to help.  There is a wealth of good information on this board.  I am learning new things every day.

Lol I jist posted on another thread this same thought. I'm always learning something new on here!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Grafton88
Established Contributor

@RM21 wrote:

@Grafton88 wrote:

Lol I jist posted on another thread this same thought. I'm always learning something new on here!

You know what they say, "Great minds think alike".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.