Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even dispute this?

tag
thatguycx
Valued Member

Should I even dispute this?

Okay so I'm basing this on from what I've been hearing about if you dispute an inquiry for an active account. If you dispute an inquiry on your report that is from an active credit card account on your report, they might close that account which is something that I do not want. All I want is the inquiry to be removed for obvious reasons but keep the account.

However, I'm not talking about any credit card accounts here that might get disputed. A few months back in late-ish 2019, I applied for a checking account from my local bank/credit union and they really did a hard inquiry on me. It's only on experian though, it's not on my report from transunion or equifax. 

So if I dispute the inquiry, will anything happen to my checking account?

3 REPLIES 3
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I even dispute this?

@thatguycx wrote:

Okay so I'm basing this on from what I've been hearing about if you dispute an inquiry for an active account. If you dispute an inquiry on your report that is from an active credit card account on your report, they might close that account which is something that I do not want. All I want is the inquiry to be removed for obvious reasons but keep the account.

However, I'm not talking about any credit card accounts here that might get disputed. A few months back in late-ish 2019, I applied for a checking account from my local bank/credit union and they really did a hard inquiry on me. It's only on experian though, it's not on my report from transunion or equifax. 

You applied for something and they pulled an inquiry, it's legit. No reason why it should be removed.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@thatguycx wrote:

DO NOT DISPUTE VALID INQUIRIES 

opening a bank account is a valid permissible purpose so the inquiry is valid.

Disputing inquiries can cause unintended consequences 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

For future reference OP, the only valid reason to remove an inquiry is fraud. As long as you applied for something, any inquiry performed by that entity in pursuit thereof is valid and not subject to removal. Inquiries are the cost of doing business.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.