Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans are consolidated and reporting closed

tag
prosario69
Established Member

Student loans are consolidated and reporting closed

I have a few student loans that I comsolidated and the accounts are still showing on my report.  Should I dispute to have them removed?  One is from 2006 and the others are from 2011 and 2012.  I also have a good mix of other credit, as well, I filed bk in 2013 and have maintained steady credit since.

Should I dispute and have them removed?  Are they still affecting my credit score as they are not active?

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 606
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Student loans are consolidated and reporting closed

Closed accounts can remain on your reports for up to 10 years after they are last reported.  (I actually have a couple of accounts closed for more than 10 years that got "updated" at some point after and are still on mine.). The age of the accounts is likely helping you unless your average age of accounts is over 10 years, but even in that case they're unlikely to be actually hurting.

If they are marked paid with a $0 balance and don't have any negative information, don't touch them.

If they are still showing balances and/or lates, then certainly you may want to see if there is any way to address them.

Message 2 of 3
snickerpedia
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student loans are consolidated and reporting closed

+1 to what K said. I would definitely not dispute them if they are positive trades -----we can always use a little extra age on our reports hehe!!

TU - 785
EX - 771
EQ - 779

Citi premier 13
CSP 29
X1 33.5k
/CIU 6k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.