Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspend my license????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suspend my license????

There are decent analog tape recorders I think for around $60.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I am reading this right (below) I can record a call because I am one of the consenting in the conversation. Is this Correct?

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-287: It is a Class H felony to intercept or disclose the contents of a wire, oral or electronic communication without the consent of at least one party to the communication, The statute defines wire communications to exclude the radio portion of a cordless telephone call that is transmitted between a cordless telephone handset and base unit. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-287.

In addition, communications transmitted in a manner accessible to the general public, radio transmissions of aircrafts, ships or vehicles, and law enforcement radio communications, can be legally intercepted.

Violations of the law can be punished by imprisonment for up to 10 years and a fine. Civil liability is expressly authorized for actual damages, $100 per day of violation or $1,000 — whichever is greater. Punitive damages, attorney fees and litigation costs also can be recovered. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15A-296.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

nikkoslilmouse wrote:

So if I am reading this right (below) I can record a call because I am one of the consenting in the conversation. Is this Correct?

You got it. North Carolina, like Alabama, is considered a One Party State for the recording of calls. At least one party has to know about it.

Federal law says One Party, but it varies state to state. Some say One Party, others say All Parties, and still others say All Parties must consent.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

In answer the your question, Can they suspend my drivers license ? YES, they can, and they did mine. It was about 20 or more years ago. I had a 3 day lapse in my auto insurance and I had a wreck. I made arrangements with the other insurance company of some small monthly amount (50 to 75 a month I think), work got slow, and so did I with my payments. Not only does the company you owe not have to notify you of their intent to notify the state, but the state doesn't foward notices by mail if you've moved. I found out about a year and a half later when the company I was working for ran a routine check for all those who might be driving company vehicles. Its called "failure to comply with the financial responsibility act" in Tennessee, and it does have "teeth".
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdad wrote:
Can they suspend my drivers license ? YES, they can, and they did mine. It was about 20 or more years ago. I had a 3 day lapse in my auto insurance and I had a wreck. I made arrangements with the other insurance company of some small monthly amount (50 to 75 a month I think), work got slow, and so did I with my payments. Not only does the company you owe not have to notify you of their intent to notify the state, but the state doesn't foward notices by mail if you've moved. I found out about a year and a half later when the company I was working for ran a routine check for all those who might be driving company vehicles. Its called "failure to comply with the financial responsibility act" in Tennessee, and it does have "teeth".

These sorta things vary state to state. But the key here is that the they who can report you to the state is your insurance company if you lapse. This is a CA making the threat, and I do believe they are in violation of the FDCPA for doing it.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems there's a fair bit of squishiness in the law. Definitely hold out and talk to the lawyer on Monday.

http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/MLI_FAQ.html

Mandatory Liability Insurance FAQs

Are vehicles registered or operated in Alabama required to be covered by a liability insurance policy?

Yes. No person shall operate, register or maintain registration of, and no owner shall permit another person to operate, register or maintain registration of, a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public highway unless the motor vehicle is covered by a liability insurance policy.

What is the minimum amount of liability insurance coverage required?

The insurance must provide a minimum of $20,000 for injury liability for one person in an accident, $40,000 for all injuries in an accident, and $10,000 for property damage in an accident. The policy must be issued by an insurance company qualified to issue motor vehicle liability insurance in Alabama.

Am I required to carry proof of liability insurance coverage in my vehicle?

Yes.

What is considered proof of liability insurance coverage?

The best proof of liability insurance is the insurance card issued by the insurance company. The insurance cards are issued by companies qualified to issue motor vehicle liability insurance in Alabama, and contain the vehicle year model, vehicle make, vehicle identification number, name of the insured, the name of the insurance company, the policy number, and the effective and expiration dates of the policy. Insurance companies often issued cards two or more times a year. Motorists must be sure that the insurance card carried within the vehicle is current.

Other acceptable documents to prove insurance include:

• A temporary insurance card issued by the insurer.
    • A premium receipt or insurance binder issued by the motorist's insurance agent.
    • The current declarations page of a liability insurance policy.
    • The actual liability insurance policy issued for the vehicle.
    • A certificate of liability insurance policy issued by either the insurer or an authorized agent.
    • Proof of purchase of a motor vehicle with the previous 60 days and a valid insurance card issued for the motor vehicle replaced by such purchase. The proof of purchase is to be a copy of the bill of sale if the vehicle is a pre-1975 year model, or the owner's permit (yellow) copy of the application for certificate of title for a 1975 and subsequent year model vehicle.
    • A copy of the rental agreement when renting a motor vehicle which specifies the insurance coverage.

Are there any alternatives to motor vehicle liability insurance requirements for motor vehicles?

Yes. In lieu of liability insurance the vehicle may be covered by a motor vehicle liability bond or deposit of cash. The motor vehicle liability bond shall be in the amount of not less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000). The bond shall be conditioned on the payment of the amount of any judgment rendered against the principal in the bond or any person responsible for the operation of the principal’s motor vehicle with his or her express or implied consent, arising from injury, death, or damage sustained through the use, operation, maintenance, or control of the motor vehicle within the State of Alabama.  The deposit of cash with the State Treasurer shall be a sum of not less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).

How do I obtain a motor vehicle liability bond?

Refer to Regulation 810-5-8-01 for further information.

How do I obtain a Cash Deposit Certificate?

Refer to Regulation 810-5-8-02 for further information.

I was involved in an accident. Can the Department of Revenue determine whether or not the other party in the accident had a liability insurance policy in force at the time of the accident and provide this information to me?

No. The Department of Revenue does not maintain a database of  insurance policy information.

How does the Department of Revenue adminster the liability insurance law?

The Department of Revenue randomly surveys vehicle owners to determine if the owners are maintaining liability insurance. If not, the Department will suspend the vehicle tag registration. The registration reinstatement fee will be $100 for the first suspension, and the owner will be required to provide proof of liability insurance. For subsequent registration reinstatements, the fee will be $200 after the owner has served a four month suspension and upon presentation of proof of liability insurance.

The Department of Revenue will also suspend the vehicle tag registration of any motor vehicle the driver of which has been convicted of operating the vehicle without liability insurance coverage, displaying false proof of liability insurance coverage or failing or refusing to comply with a request by a law enforcement officer to display evidence of insurance.

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

my friend i was in a similar situation and i would advice you to contact the ca and arrange some type of payment plan.I had very good credit rating and went through the same problem i ignored the ca request to settle.I owed almost $9,000 and one morning i got a letter from the court and the next was from dmv asking me to take care of the judgment or my license will be suspended .The only way out for me at this point was to file for bk which was very hard to do but i had no choice and at this point they will not accept any payment plan at all.SO be smart call the ca and arrange a payment plan right away.  
Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

spoke with a lawyer yesterday, sunday. he returned my calls. Said that it may be possible, under "subrogation" what ever the hell that is.

I am giving him the CA Info, and he will find out if this is a CA or a JDB. Aslo, says he knows some folks at state farm and will find out the deal.

will keep you updated.
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disclaimer: States will differ a lot on this.

That said, I'm an insurance agent, and at least in Kansas and Missouri, this can absolutely happen if you failed to maintain the state minimums and damaged someone else's property. In fact, they don't even need the creditor to file with them. If you don't have your up to date address on your driver's license (most people don't unless they are homeowners, in my experience), you might want to run your MVR to make sure you aren't already suspended.

I'm glad you're talking to an attorney before paying. If you do make a payment arrangement, make sure it is:

1. In writing, with NOTARIZED signatures from you and the other party.
2. Keep it somewhere safe along with proof that you paid it FOREVER. I've seen the states come back on people 6 or more years later for something like this.

Good luck!

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.