Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Question

tag
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Tax Lien Question

I had a tax lien put on my credit reports in March 2005 with it being released in April 2006. My question is when should it drop off my report. Its been removed from my TU report however its still on both my EQ and EX reports. I thought it would have dropped off already since it was filed over 7 years ago or do they go by the date of release?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Tax Lien Question

Date of payment which usually considered date of release. If this is IRS lien, you can contact IRS about having it removed.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 6
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

It was a state tax lien. Since it should drop in 10 months I may just leave it be for now as this is the only baddie showing on the report.

Message 3 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Yeah. Let it drop off. Concentrate on building positive trade lines.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive had a state tax lien paid in full from california on my experian report since the early 90's they refuse to and will not remove it,

all the other agencies have removed it but experian..

They can legally report a tax lien for 10 years from the payoff date I believe but mine is still there after numorous letters in the past.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The exclusion date for tax liens is as clear as can be:

FCRA 605(a)(5)(3) "Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than 7 years."

When you disputed/complained, did they provide you with the reported date of payment upon which they are calculating the exclusion date?

Their must be some difference between the date of record in your credit file and the date your records show payment.

If you filed a dispute, did you then ask for their method of verification of accuracy?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.