Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Reality of Credit Cards

tag
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

The Reality of Credit Cards

After playing the game for many years I wanted to share my thoughts about credit cards.

All of the credit cards in my wallet belong to their respective issuers. I am allowed to use them but I do not own them. The credit lines associated with that plastic also do not belong to me. It is not my money. That money I assume belongs to depositors in those institutions. Therefore I do not care nor am I distressed when card issuers do funky things with their cards.  They can do whatever they want to do. There are two things that belong to me in regards to credit cards. One is the accumulated debt that they incur. Yes, the debt is mine. It is all mine. Therefore, I pay my credit cards in full so that I do not own the debt. The other thing that I own are the rewards. I redeem the rewards regularly before the card companies change their minds and steal the rewards. I absolutely do not trust them now or ever.
Credit is a game and it pays to know the rules. I play the game so that I will always win. I hate to lose. It pays to pay attention because everything in this game is stacked against the card holder. Large print giveth but fine print taketh away. There is no lender on earth that has your best interest at heart. They are all ruthless and care only about being repaid and thereby guaranteeing they make a profit. In reality, you are an account number and not even a real person to them. Be careful as you play this game because there are always sharks in the water ready to feast on you. Borrowing money is a stupid pathway to being in debt.  Some would call me pessimistic. I prefer realistic.  Cards are a blessing or they are a curse.  You get to choose.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: The Reality of Credit Cards

Very wise observations, and I thank you for sharing them.  Too many people on this board "love" their credit cards and the credit card issuers, and that's a mistake.  Always be suspicious, and keep expectations low.  When things go well, it will be a pleasant surprise.  When things go poorly, it won't be a surprise.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So true... couldn't have said it any better.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

So much wisdom in two paragraphs. Great job!

Message 4 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Darkness...Darnkess everywhere.... Smiley Wink

Some very good points, OP. The thing is, as long as we are able to pay for the purchases, the bank is happy to be the payment processor. Shopping banks for the best loan rates, and avoiding the typical purchase APR is a good idea.

But what a lot of us are doing is using the banks competing against each other, to find the best rewards. The banks probably look at us as ungrateful wretches for not using their 1% “rewards” credit card exclusively.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Darkness...Darnkess everywhere.... Smiley Wink

Some very good points, OP. The thing is, as long as we are able to pay for the purchases, the bank is happy to be the payment processor. Shopping banks for the best loan rates, and avoiding the typical purchase APR is a good idea.

But what a lot of us are doing is using the banks competing against each other, to find the best rewards. The banks probably look at us as ungrateful wretches for not using their 1% “rewards” credit card exclusively.

There isn't really a probably about it. Chase's 5/24 says it all.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GomerPyle wrote:

After playing the game for many years I wanted to share my thoughts about credit cards.

All of the credit cards in my wallet belong to their respective issuers. I am allowed to use them but I do not own them. The credit lines associated with that plastic also do not belong to me. It is not my money. That money I assume belongs to depositors in those institutions. Therefore I do not care nor am I distressed when card issuers do funky things with their cards.  They can do whatever they want to do. There are two things that belong to me in regards to credit cards. One is the accumulated debt that they incur. Yes, the debt is mine. It is all mine. Therefore, I pay my credit cards in full so that I do not own the debt. The other thing that I own are the rewards. I redeem the rewards regularly before the card companies change their minds and steal the rewards. I absolutely do not trust them now or ever.
Credit is a game and it pays to know the rules. I play the game so that I will always win. I hate to lose. It pays to pay attention because everything in this game is stacked against the card holder. Large print giveth but fine print taketh away. There is no lender on earth that has your best interest at heart. They are all ruthless and care only about being repaid and thereby guaranteeing they make a profit. In reality, you are an account number and not even a real person to them. Be careful as you play this game because there are always sharks in the water ready to feast on you. Borrowing money is a stupid pathway to being in debt.  Some would call me pessimistic. I prefer realistic.  Cards are a blessing or they are a curse.  You get to choose.

Excellent post OP!

I have just highlighted the parts I liked.

Message 7 of 16
Berk
Established Contributor

You mean Amex really doesn't like me? Smiley Sad

Been saying the same thing for years on these forums. It truly does amaze me that people think any different.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What, this can't be.
The letter from my bank thanked me for being a "valued customer", then went on to say congratulations on "your" new credit card.
Message 9 of 16
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

good post but a minor caveat, you don't always own the rewards.  see the fine print re amex lol

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.