cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TransUnion deleted collections - Will they come back?

tag
Rottweilerlvr
Contributor

TransUnion deleted collections - Will they come back?

I had two medical collections that TransUnion has categorically refused to delete for years, despite Equifax and Experian doing so. Well, I'm going to need a car loan in the next 6-8 weeks and I really want to use Navy (I bank with them and have spent over a year building our relationship) but I didn't feel I would be able to get a competitive rate with these on there. It's been a while since I've disputed them but went ahead and did so through Credit Karma. I received a notification from MyFICO that they see multiple changes to my report. Both medical collections were allegedly removed. (No movement or notification with Credit Karma.) What are the odds that they come back? It would be the cruelest thing ever if they did.932B82DB-BB81-40EF-987A-CF4B1126430C.jpeg

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: TransUnion deleted collections - Will they come back?

I had a couple of small paid med collections on TU and EQ last year when I was approved for an auto loan with Navy.

I had about a 6 month relationship with them and they gave me a 2.29% for 72 months. Could've had 2.19 if I did 60 months.

I don't think your med collections will really hurt you much if they're paid.

It's possible those collections could come back if they're still supposed to be there.

If they do come back, they could lower your score quite a bit due to appearing fresh I believe.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rottweilerlvr wrote:

I had two medical collections that TransUnion has categorically refused to delete for years, despite Equifax and Experian doing so. Well, I'm going to need a car loan in the next 6-8 weeks and I really want to use Navy (I bank with them and have spent over a year building our relationship) but I didn't feel I would be able to get a competitive rate with these on there. It's been a while since I've disputed them but went ahead and did so through Credit Karma. I received a notification from MyFICO that they see multiple changes to my report. Both medical collections were allegedly removed. (No movement or notification with Credit Karma.) What are the odds that they come back? It would be the cruelest thing ever if they did.932B82DB-BB81-40EF-987A-CF4B1126430C.jpeg

I have read on a few of these boards that medical collections are one of the easiest collects to get removed.  Out of all of the CRAs, I have found TU to be the most efficient and yet, stubborn. 

You have not stated whether or not the collection was paid and/or what the amounts are in collection.  It has been my experience that if you have a collection, you work with them first - assuming it is valid - for PFD or something.  If you had an unpaid collection removed, I would expect it to come back, and possibly with a new owner of the debt.  I may be wrong but CAs are growing more adept and with larger accounts, they'll fight if they legally own the debt.  Deleted collections usually (my experience) come back at the wrong time.  

I am taking this alternative response, not to be pessimistic, but more realistic here.  There is nothing more refreshing than point increases as a result of a derog being moved.   If the medical collections are legitimate, how can they be removed unless there is some loophole?  

I am hoping you get more information here on this.  I am eager to know more... just in case.  Smiley Sad

Congrats on the score bump.  Be careful. Do a little more research.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Rottweilerlvr
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Rottweilerlvr wrote:

I have read on a few of these boards that medical collections are one of the easiest collects to get removed.  Out of all of the CRAs, I have found TU to be the most efficient and yet, stubborn. 

You have not stated whether or not the collection was paid and/or what the amounts are in collection.  It has been my experience that if you have a collection, you work with them first - assuming it is valid - for PFD or something.  If you had an unpaid collection removed, I would expect it to come back, and possibly with a new owner of the debt.  I may be wrong but CAs are growing more adept and with larger accounts, they'll fight if they legally own the debt.  Deleted collections usually (my experience) come back at the wrong time.  

I am taking this alternative response, not to be pessimistic, but more realistic here.  There is nothing more refreshing than point increases as a result of a derog being moved.   If the medical collections are legitimate, how can they be removed unless there is some loophole?  

I am hoping you get more information here on this.  I am eager to know more... just in case.  Smiley Sad

Congrats on the score bump.  Be careful. Do a little more research.

Good luck!

They are unpaid as I don't agree with them. One is suppose to age off next May. It was a Pap smear and IUD removal that insurance should have covered in 2015. Somewhere it was billed incorrectly. The other one was from 2018. Never saw a bill from the original medical facility or know who it was. One day it just showed up and have never been able to get answers for it. To me, neither are legit. Experian and Equifax removed them ages ago and they've never shown back up so I'm hoping they don't show back up on TransUnion. 

Message 4 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

They very well can. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the collections are legit and you do owe, they can come back. They can also be removed by a CA because the account is no longer assigned to them- then be sold to a different collection agency and then reposted to your reports after they've sent you correspondence and/or phone calls telling you they have your debt (assuming they have the correct contact information). 

So dispute RESULTS stated these were removed? What did your results actually say? 

I had a collection be removed from reports only to show up 6 months later after it changed collection agencies. It isn't guaranteed until you have hit that 7.5 year mark where it can no longer be reported. As of now, you owe this money. Send them PROOF that you don't. Without it, you are just stating you "disagree" with these bills- which doesn't make you right or wrong in this situation and doesn't much matter to the credit bureaus. Most of us don't truly agree with our medical debt to an extent and the "insurance was supposed to cover this" is a cop out most times. I mean this sincerely, but you should have taken this up with the medical facility AND the insurance if you felt they were entitled to pay this bill BEFORE it got years old and on your reports. It's what I do when I need to inquire about a medical bill. If you tried and they told you it isn't covered- then sadly it wasn't covered and disagreeing with it doesn't mean you don't owe. 

Hoping you get good results. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.