Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Split file

tag
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

Transunion Split file

I was just tring to get a copy of my Transuion report and had to call TU but the rep told me I have a split file. What does that mean? What would cause that and how can I fix it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transunion Split file

I don't recall ever having seen a case of a split file for TU. I can't speak to TU, but it happens quite a bit for EQ if there are a large amount of soft inquiries reporting. Guessing here, but I think each file is allotted so much space and size. When you have a lot of softs, especially due to frequent report pulls, CLi requests, ARs, new TLs, etc., the softs crowd out the other inquries and accounts resulting in a split file, or two reports with differing information. Some had success with EQ by talking through with them and  removing those soft inquiries and restoring the file. I guess you can do the same to TU if you talked to them. It would be handy if you had old report copies on hand.

Message 2 of 10
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

I did speak to a rep and they are sending me both files. They want me to compare the two files and let them know which accounts are duplicates. The crazy thing is I have a BK from 2007 and it doesnt show up on one file. Should I just let it work itself out and let other things fall off or do I have to get this fixed?

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@ewingerter wrote:

I did speak to a rep and they are sending me both files. They want me to compare the two files and let them know which accounts are duplicates. The crazy thing is I have a BK from 2007 and it doesnt show up on one file. Should I just let it work itself out and let other things fall off or do I have to get this fixed?

Thanks

I think you need to fix it. My understanding -- which could be wrong -- is that all the data exists in the CRA databases, they just aren't allowed to report the data any longer.

Message 4 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I'd wait for RobertEG to come along.  He'll know what to do.

Though maybe if somehow your BK is gone, you might not want to fix it?  Do you know your TU Score?  What would happen if you tried to buy your TU98 score here at MYFICO?  It might be worth the 20 bucks to find out.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 10
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

I'd wait for RobertEG to come along.  He'll know what to do.

Though maybe if somehow your BK is gone, you might not want to fix it?  Do you know your TU Score?  What would happen if you tried to buy your TU98 score here at MYFICO?  It might be worth the 20 bucks to find out.

The problem is that when you have split file, you don't know what file is being pulled. He could try to buy his score 20 times and all 20 times get the wrong part of the file. Then, when he applies for something they get the split with the BK.

Message 6 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Trans Union  has two files on you. Most likely you will see a difference between the two files either name or address most likley.  The bureaus are very careful about combing files.on conumers. Whatever the difference is it keeping the files from being combined.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ewingerter wrote:

I was just tring to get a copy of my Transuion report and had to call TU but the rep told me I have a split file. What does that mean? What would cause that and how can I fix it?

It's not as common as with Equifax, but it does happen. Do you pull your own report (= lotsa softs) often?

They need to rebuild your file. If you have a copy of an older report handy, it will help them find all your accounts.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

I do use credit monitoring thru USAA and I probably check my credit about once a month. I don't have an old copy of my TU file. If I don't fix the split file will it correct itself once things fall off?

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ewingerter wrote:

I do use credit monitoring thru USAA and I probably check my credit about once a month. I don't have an old copy of my TU file. If I don't fix the split file will it correct itself once things fall off?

Good question. I've never known an example of someone simply ignoring a split file. Smiley Very Happy

I'm thinking it would take a while for the excess data to fall off. If it's soft inquiries (the most common cause), they'll be on there for at least another year.

If you're not frequently pulling your reports, and if you don't have a bazillion accounts reporting, you'd probably better try to find out what's going on.

So you haven't saved any of your old reports, even just to your hard drive?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.